Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Default What easy fix for a session occasionally stopping from running out of CPU power?

Have a 003 rack pt 8.0.3, large session with lots of plug ins going...
I am at mixdown now, but the occasional stoppage with a white windo pop up says "Your running out of CPU power"
Of course I would like to just take this to the finish line without making changes, but what is the easiest way to gain a little juice to stop this without making compromises to the mix and plug ins I have going?

Thanks

ADK custom quad core, 6 gig ram x58 i7 rackmount PC
Windows 7, 32 bit OS
Apogee Rosetta 800
Avid 003 Rack Factory/ PT le 8.0.3
Music Poduction Toolkit 2
A Designs Pacifica
JW mod Drawmer 1960
JW moded Studio Technologies mic pres
etc, etc, etc, etc,
Old 07-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Default Re: What easy fix for a session occasionally stopping from running out of CPU power?

If there's any tracks that you're definitely not using, set them to inactive.

Stripe any VI's into audio, if you're satisfied with what they're doing.

Look for large groups of tracks doing a similar musical thing (background vocal groups especially) and bounce them down to a single stereo track, saving you any individual plugs you had on those tracks. Then make the source tracks inactive. Should sound exactly like you had, if you work the volume settings correctly. If you're cool with your drums, bouncing them all down to one stereo track will save a lot of tracks in a hurry.

Fiddle with the buffer--playback settings.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 AM

Default Re: What easy fix for a session occasionally stopping from running out of CPU power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
If there's any tracks that you're definitely not using, set them to inactive.

Stripe any VI's into audio, if you're satisfied with what they're doing.

Look for large groups of tracks doing a similar musical thing (background vocal groups especially) and bounce them down to a single stereo track, saving you any individual plugs you had on those tracks. Then make the source tracks inactive. Should sound exactly like you had, if you work the volume settings correctly. If you're cool with your drums, bouncing them all down to one stereo track will save a lot of tracks in a hurry.
To elaborate further...

It's even more efficient to bus ALL your tracks down to a single stereo track, and simply hit record. What this does, is allows you to "bounce" your song within Pro Tools, and still have control of everything. You can even stop it, make an adjustment, and record over the adjustment without having to start the bounce from the beginning. Or, in your case, when there is a CPU error... you can simply hit record again and keep going.

When you've finished recording to that track, you can simply Export Regions as Files... and done. No need to sit through the whole track to get a file on your desktop.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the replies guys....
I do have 1 eleven plug in going that I could commit the sound to recording that track.
I will save the setting just in case.
Do crossfades, fade ins and fade outs account for much?
I suppose I could consolodate some of those regions...I'm close to the finish line on this project, already have several group besses, maybe 40 or 50 tracks...actually suprised how well the LE has handled it, it just started acting up doing final tweaks for mixing.

Windows 7, 32 bit OS
Apogee Rosetta 800
A Designs Pacifica
JW mod Drawmer 1960
etc, etc, etc, etc,
Old 07-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill60532 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys....
I do have 1 eleven plug in going that I could commit the sound to recording that track.
I will save the setting just in case.
Do crossfades, fade ins and fade outs account for much?
I suppose I could consolodate some of those regions...I'm close to the finish line on this project, already have several group besses, maybe 40 or 50 tracks...actually suprised how well the LE has handled it, it just started acting up doing final tweaks for mixing.
Consolidation definitely helps. The more you have going on in a session in general (fades, automation, plugins, etc) the more CPU you are burning.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-23-2011, 11:00 PM

I think that one of the best solutions is to bounce tracks to a different track with the effect. This will free up the efx when mixing or if your putting verb on all the drums, group them and add the efx to the group. There is a lot you can do to free up the cpu, just think conservatively!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:58 AM

Also using an Aux/s track/s as an FX channel/s to bus into from multiple tracks is handy.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-24-2011, 11:14 AM

Thanks again guys.
I did a little bit of housekeepeing and cleaning up the session.
I didn't have any issues of cpu stoppage, so that is cool, but I will look for a few more things for insurance as it must be right on the edge.
In the menu, I have it set to 85%, but I see there is an option to bump that up to 90%.
I haven't done that for fear that maxing out that option may lead to other errors...
After going through some issues with dae erros and blue screen last year, I don't want to change any paramiter that may lead to death. lol

Windows 7, 32 bit OS
Apogee Rosetta 800
A Designs Pacifica
JW mod Drawmer 1960
etc, etc, etc, etc,
Old 07-26-2011, 02:49 AM

you may already be doing this but set the buffer high when doing the mixdown - seems to help mine a lot
Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboymusic View Post
you may already be doing this but set the buffer high when doing the mixdown - seems to help mine a lot
This is the easy fix with most DAWs. Unfortunately this can also put you over the limit with ADC, which makes it fairly useless in some cases. For example my big template has to run at a buffer of 512 or PT won't use ADC on some tracks. In Nuendo I can easily run at 4096 if I like, so that if I need to add an extra plug, I can, without any problems at all. This is one area that Avid really does need to catch up with the rest of the world.

Sorry for the slightly OT rant.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card