Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

Quote:
Well. Got my humble little home studio back together and looking good and been workin with REASON and going back on old tunes and bringin them up to date with the knowledge I have aquired about music production in hopes of getting some of them on MySpace soon. Its hot as hell in my place even with the AC unit(lame little thing)running. Its a HEATWAVE IN L.A.!!!

Ok. Defragged my audio drive and it found no errors. I would love to become part of the list with a high performance P5K P35 quad machine. At this point 130 Dverbs isn't cuttin it for the list OR for my peace of mind. I feel close. What next? I will get SKYPE rollin and maybe I can talk to ya Sunburst.

DJ
Ok something is obviously not right with your machine. Can you download the SiSoft Sandra we used to use and run it and post a overview. Thats the best way I can tell to check your memory and system configuration. I'm visiting a buddies over the holiday weekend but definately want to get this sorted out. If its not a system configuration issue then I'm leaning towards a bad board. I'm willing to bet its something that's set wrong.

Did you ever run CPUz and see what your CPU speed and multiplier and memory settings are?

EDIT: were you using Mono or Stereo Dverbs? Should be mono.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-31-2007, 06:43 PM

You guys ROCK!!!!!
Windows is installing as I type! I had the CD ROM selected as the first boot, but I also noticed that it was listed as the third boot as well. I changed the third boot to Floppy, put the Windows disk in, restarted the computer, and it "took". Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to post again if I have any further troubles.....hopefully my next post will be my Dverb test results! Ron
Old 08-31-2007, 06:50 PM

Well, the Quad is up and running.

DVerb 2 test results - 279 Dverbs at 24/48/1024. I'm pleased with that. 32 mono audio tracks full of dverbs, 32 mono aux inputs with three dverbs on each plus a fourth dverb on 23 of them. Successfully plays back a test tone from track one from five minutes, and successfully records for five minutes on all 32 tracks. It feels loaded down at that point, of course, but the CPU meter doesn't peak.

My "old" Athlon 64 X2 4600+ system was good for 90, so I feel like this is a solid upgrade.

Setup:

Digi002 Rack Factory
ProTools 7.3.1cs4 w/ MPT

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Asus P5K Deluxe P35 motherboard w/ WiFi
2GB (1GB x 2 sticks) OCZ Gold DDR2-800
Asus EN8500GT Silent 256MB video card
(1) 80GB Seagate 7200.10 8MB SATA2 hard drive (system)
(1) 320GB Seagate 7200.10 16MB SATA2 hard drive (audio)
Asus DVD-RW SATA drive (I don't recall the model number offhand)
Old 08-31-2007, 06:53 PM

6969, still givin' it some thought for ya up the coast my friend. defraggin' helps, no doubt. BUT the drive can still have performance issues even tho it defrags with no problems. i still recommend creatin' the DVERB 2 test session on your system drive just to see if you get the same 9xxx errors that you get when usin' your audio drive. my experience was that i heard the slightest noise with my audio drive and it too defragged with no problems nor issues. but i still got the dreaded 9xxx buffer errors. as soon as i swapped out my audio drive with a new one, ALL the 9xxx errors disappeared. so it definitely is worth creatin' the test session on your system drive. and like sunburst said, make sure you are doin' mono trax.

also, i can't remember how much ram you have but do make sure you are in dual channel mode. these are things that i'm sure you've covered but just tryin' to lend a hand

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 08-31-2007, 06:59 PM

CONGRATS MrJoshua!!! time to make some music!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 08-31-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
CONGRATS MrJoshua!!! time to make some music!!!
No, now it's time to get all my plugins reinstalled. THEN it'll be time to make some music. I think I have just about everything reinstalled, except Melodyne Uno and the Joe Meek plugins ... which for some reason I can't find my installation files for those. But I know they're here somewhere.

Hopefully.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
6969, still givin' it some thought for ya up the coast my friend. defraggin' helps, no doubt. BUT the drive can still have performance issues even tho it defrags with no problems. i still recommend creatin' the DVERB 2 test session on your system drive just to see if you get the same 9xxx errors that you get when usin' your audio drive. my experience was that i heard the slightest noise with my audio drive and it too defragged with no problems nor issues. but i still got the dreaded 9xxx buffer errors. as soon as i swapped out my audio drive with a new one, ALL the 9xxx errors disappeared. so it definitely is worth creatin' the test session on your system drive. and like sunburst said, make sure you are doin' mono trax.

also, i can't remember how much ram you have but do make sure you are in dual channel mode. these are things that i'm sure you've covered but just tryin' to lend a hand
He's got a good point about the 9xxx errors, Vocal VooDoo had the same problem and only a new drive cleared it up.

You do have the RAM in slots that are the same color right?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-31-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:

I Am SOOO glad to see one of these go together easily for some one! I thought it was the easiest computer I ever put together. I going to have to put together a step by step walkthrough for building one.

The ASUS Q-Connecters rock dont they!

As I recall I got 255 Dverbs from mine with a Mbox2 Mini. For running DDR2 667 you are doing extremely well.

I will be curious how much the optimizations make a difference. Thats one thing we haven't checked.

I think your the first one to bring one in under 600.00 And Recycling is a GOOD thing
sunburst79, I made one critical error in the Dverb 2.0 test... I had the 'ignore errors' box checked. I performed the test again (once again with NO tweaks to the BIOS or OS). Exactly 221 (as opposed to the 231 I got with the box checked). Still, no slouch for DDR2-667 RAM and no tweaks!

Tweaked score is still coming... just been a busy week at work.

-RyanK
Old 08-31-2007, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the correction/update!

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 08-31-2007, 10:20 PM

OK, I get to the point in Windows installation where the files are loaded and the computer reboots. Instead of going on with the installation, it starts over with the Windows setup. Any suggestions?