Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 PM

Default Why rush into Hdx?

With all the excitement burning our wallets , I think like I must point out some angles about this gold rush : all of us , PTHD owners still have some heavy ammunition in our fingertips ... Nothing has changed since last night... Seriously , the HD era is still alive and kicking , sure... There is a new shiny toy just around the corner , and it looks amazing , and we all got to have the smartest strongest collets newest gadgets , especially since most of us make a living with those so called gadgets , but if we think about it , we still have an amazing systems , that can be easily upgraded , especially now, that HD accel cards will sell on eBay for under 1000$ ... Ram is cheap... And waves are dropping prices on TDM bundles
As I see it , avid is supporting my platform for the next 3 years , so I have no reason to rush in this new stuff .... Protools 10 would be buggy as hell since protools 9 is the most buggiest protools I have ever worked on... I can't imagine that it would safe to update to 10 for at least a year.... Or before 10.1 or 10.2 ,
I , am pleased with my system , I'm gonna get a3rd accel card , pump my macpro from 8 giga's to 16, and in three years time I hope to put some cash aside to upgrade to th new kid... In the mean time... I will remember that for now I have a system that most studios of the world carry , and 80% of the last 15 years best selling best sounding music has been done with it ... It still has some blood and flash to bare for us musicians , engineers , mixers.. Etc... Maybe in an year - I'll go protools 10... And will enjoy the new features... But hey : we got along with out...
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 10-21-2011, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Why rush into Hdx?

+1. Hopefully the software price will be a little less. I have thought of adding a UAD card instead of a 3. Accel card.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:30 AM

I totally agree with the entire spirit of this thread. I have an HD 6 in a PE6R4 and I can't imagine spending even the $1500 bucks for new software that doesn't do anything functional that I can't already do. The price has to come down more than just a little for me to pay for not too much.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:54 AM

+1
HD6, Magma, and lots of TDM plugins.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 AM

I wouldn't upgrade to HDX yet until TDMs r ported over but anyone who thinks Waves will abandon PT is crazy. They have always been joined at the hip.

So far:

The following development partners either have AAX-compatible plug-ins ready or will have them ready shortly—please visit their website for specific plug-in information. And be sure to check back, as this page will be updated as more partners develop for the AAX platform.

BIAS
Blue Cat Audio
Brainworx (including Elysia, Magic Audio, SPL, and Vertigo)
Crane Song
Cytomic
DMG Audio
Dolby Laboratories
DUY
Eventide
FabFilter Software Instruments
Flux
iZotope
Kush Audio
Maag Audio
Massenburg Labs
McDSP
Metric Halo
Neyrinck
Overloud
Pro Audio DSP
Slate Digital
Softube (including Summit Audio, Tonelux, Trident, Tube Tech, and Valley People)
Sonnox
Sound Toys
Wave Arts
Wholegrain Digital Systems
Old 10-22-2011, 12:51 PM

I agree with all the hardware statement but I disagree as far PT HD 10 having bugs, I upgraded and seems like for the first time in years they made this right, I am running PT HD on a Mac Pro 1,1 from 2007, I was considering upgrading my computer but now I don't see this necessary, at least now, yesterday I opened almost 100 projects recorded on PT 7 - PT 8 - PT 9 that used to crash consistently before and after running PT HD10 for almost 10 hours there was not a single crash, the memory allocation feature made a huge improvement in the system, also I started few projects using the 32 bit floating structure and that is been smooth since, lets cross fingers for this kind of consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
With all the excitement burning our wallets , I think like I must point out some angles about this gold rush : all of us , PTHD owners still have some heavy ammunition in our fingertips ... Nothing has changed since last night... Seriously , the HD era is still alive and kicking , sure... There is a new shiny toy just around the corner , and it looks amazing , and we all got to have the smartest strongest collets newest gadgets , especially since most of us make a living with those so called gadgets , but if we think about it , we still have an amazing systems , that can be easily upgraded , especially now, that HD accel cards will sell on eBay for under 1000$ ... Ram is cheap... And waves are dropping prices on TDM bundles
As I see it , avid is supporting my platform for the next 3 years , so I have no reason to rush in this new stuff .... Protools 10 would be buggy as hell since protools 9 is the most buggiest protools I have ever worked on... I can't imagine that it would safe to update to 10 for at least a year.... Or before 10.1 or 10.2 ,
I , am pleased with my system , I'm gonna get a3rd accel card , pump my macpro from 8 giga's to 16, and in three years time I hope to put some cash aside to upgrade to th new kid... In the mean time... I will remember that for now I have a system that most studios of the world carry , and 80% of the last 15 years best selling best sounding music has been done with it ... It still has some blood and flash to bare for us musicians , engineers , mixers.. Etc... Maybe in an year - I'll go protools 10... And will enjoy the new features... But hey : we got along with out...
Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 PM

I think people really need to test running Pro Tools 10 on their computer's internal audio system before jumping to conclusions about needing or not needing new DSP hardware. A lot of folks sound like they are assuming the performance level of 5 year old computers.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcioguitar View Post
I agree with all the hardware statement but I disagree as far PT HD 10 having bugs, I upgraded and seems like for the first time in years they made this right, I am running PT HD on a Mac Pro 1,1 from 2007, I was considering upgrading my computer but now I don't see this necessary, at least now, yesterday I opened almost 100 projects recorded on PT 7 - PT 8 - PT 9 that used to crash consistently before and after running PT HD10 for almost 10 hours there was not a single crash, the memory allocation feature made a huge improvement in the system, also I started few projects using the 32 bit floating structure and that is been smooth since, lets cross fingers for this kind of consistency.

this is great to hear. How much RAM do you have in that MacPro 1,1? The ram for these is expensive so i am not wanting to put any $$$ into the old mac unless it really is worth it for a while.

Thnx for your report, Ainslie