Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Bug? Deleted midi reappears!

Here's a weird one. When using a midi track in Region view, I record a couple bars of midi. Then I decide I hate what I did on the last couple bars so I delete it. Instead of recording over it or punching in, I jump to the next A section and start recording. As soon as I hit stop, the section of the midi region I deleted UNDELETES itself. How weird is that!?!

It is 100% repeatable for me on all 3 HD systems and all 6 LE systems we have at the studio. We are running 7.4 here. I asked a friend with ver8 to try it and the same thing happened to him with ver8.

What is the deal? I did a search through the duc and didn't find anyone else reporting this. Am I the only one who noticed this?

If anyone is willing to try this... create a midi track. Record a few bars of you playing notes. Delete any portion of the midi region in region view (I've noticed this doesn't happen if you are in notes view). Then record on the same track in another spot. As soon as you hit stop for the second take, the entire midi region from the first take restores itself and the stuff you part you deleted is no longer deleted.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Bug? Deleted midi reappears!

I've had the same thing but it's intermittent. I would change the view from notes to regions or the other way around the problem would disappear.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM

I just tested it on my harpertown 10.5.7 PTHD3-8cs2 rig and you are totally right! I also tried it on an instrument track and it did the same thing! Unbelievable!

Pray for 8.1!

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM

midi regions have always been funky in PT. For example, when you punch in the new midi gets ADDED to the existing midi region destructively. Once you pass the end of the current midi region THEN a new midi region is created. so your punch then lives across two midi regions. This also causes tons of problems with any controllers you are using (sustain pedal, etc) since it doesn't reset/write the current state when you punch into an existing midi region.

But I've never seen the bug where midi regions reappear after recording!

I was really hoping Ver8 would have fixed all the problems with midi... but instead it just kind of tries to sugar coat them. doh!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM

yeah this is a big P.i.t.a - I posted THIS MOVIE CLIP a while ago.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Hi,

it´s really bad here too - and the timing is uh.....

Mr.O