Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Mac Pro 8-Core \"Harpertown\" Pro Tools Leopard PR problems

Hi, I have a brand new Mac Pro 8-Core with Leopard installed. OSX has been freshly installed and update to 10.5.3, and it is completely stock except for a wireless thing (which I have disabled) and a 2nd hard drive.

I am running a Profire 2626 and everything works just fine. However, when I load up pro tools with one audio track and thats it, my cpu spikes now and then and i get crackling and popping and things of that nature. Even with just one track. I have it set to 8 processors, 128 buffer, and 90% processor usage. The crackling stops when I set it to 128kb/4proc/75% but it feels like my entire computer is going to waste. I have all this raw power but I cant use it at all.

Any ideas? Is my computer defective? =[ =[
Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro 8-Core \"Harpertown\" Pro Tools Leopard PR problem

Quote:
Hi, I have a brand new Mac Pro 8-Core with Leopard installed. OSX has been freshly installed and update to 10.5.3, and it is completely stock except for a wireless thing (which I have disabled) and a 2nd hard drive.

I am running a Profire 2626 and everything works just fine. However, when I load up pro tools with one audio track and thats it, my cpu spikes now and then and i get crackling and popping and things of that nature. Even with just one track. I have it set to 8 processors, 128 buffer, and 90% processor usage. The crackling stops when I set it to 128kb/4proc/75% but it feels like my entire computer is going to waste. I have all this raw power but I cant use it at all.

Any ideas? Is my computer defective? =[ =[
Go into Pro Tools, and set the number of Processors to 4.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 AM

That what I have been doing, but like I said, i feel that its a total waste of my computers processing power.

Does everyone who uses the 8core mac pros set their processor # to 4?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
That what I have been doing, but like I said, i feel that its a total waste of my computers processing power.

Does everyone who uses the 8core mac pros set their processor # to 4?
That is not what you said. If you want to get rid of the spikes, drop the number of CPUs to 4 and download the latest 7.4.2pr
Old 06-13-2008, 05:06 PM

No, I said in my post title i was using the Leopard Pre-Release. I am on Mac OSX 10.5.3. In my first post I state that using 4 processors got rid of the clicking and popping, but I felt like it was a total waste of my system.

So I am using the pre release, and the problems stop when I put it on 4 processors, but even then when i get 3-4 tracks running with 1 plugin each, I start getting H/w drop outs and stuff like that.

Is this because of the pre release or my computer? I bought this 8-core mac pro so I could run lots of tracks and lots of plugins but I am being totally limited.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
No, I said in my post title i was using the Leopard Pre-Release. I am on Mac OSX 10.5.3. In my first post I state that using 4 processors got rid of the clicking and popping, but I felt like it was a total waste of my system.

So I am using the pre release, and the problems stop when I put it on 4 processors, but even then when i get 3-4 tracks running with 1 plugin each, I start getting H/w drop outs and stuff like that.

Is this because of the pre release or my computer? I bought this 8-core mac pro so I could run lots of tracks and lots of plugins but I am being totally limited.
Lame. I am running a 8-core MacPro, with a 24 track project, two instances of Altiverb, McDSP plugins (8 of them), couple of Melodyne instances. Number of Processors set to 4. I don't feel like I'm being limited at all. The processor CPU gets to about 1/2.

Dunno what your issue is.......it's working perfect for me. Are you sure the plugin you are using is Universal Binary?