Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 12:06 PM

Default Source for original Tiger compatible 8core?

Usually there are some refurbs or leftover stock somewhere, usually at a discount. Any one seen these anywhere?

Yes, 7.4 is compatible with the new Harpertown, but PT isn't the only thing that will be run on the computer.

Thanks,
Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Source for original Tiger compatible 8core?

I know that West LA Music in Studio City CA. have some of the machines on hand, all boot in tiger and come with a Lep disc. Ask for Steve. But, if you are looking for a discount, I don't think you'll find it. Right now, the tiger 8 cores are in short supply and they're asking full price.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 AM

I bought 2 macs last week from the apple store and noticed something odd.
Each morning (at least the 4 mornings i was looking) the 8 cores would show up at 1:30 a.m. and be gone by 5 a.m. (PST)
(Shades of Nicholson waiting for the water in "Chinatown".)
When i called the store i spoke to a chap in Scotland who said "Better hurry mate, all you Yanks are snapping them up"
Prices were 2500, down from about 3500ish.
The 2 Macs i bought both booted in Tiger and shipped with Leopard.
Best of Luck and work on that musician sched
e
Old 03-07-2008, 04:07 AM

As I understand it there is a way to install Tiger on the new 8 core machines. It involves installing tiger on a new Intel iMac and then cloning the drive to a drive and then booting from that. (You need the iMac to install to due to the graphics card drivers incompatibilities with the 8 cores.) There are some Digidesign resellers that are installing Tiger on the new 8 cores until Pro Tools is qualified with the 8 core (for LE)
I do not know all the specifics, but I imagine there is something on the net regarding this.
hope this helps
Simon L.