Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 PM

Default Mbox pro (two years old) problem. Red Green flashing Spkr

I've been running Pro Tools 9 with Mbox pro for about two years now with little trouble. The occasional glitch here and there probably from running too many plug-ins on some sessions but overall been fairly trouble free.

Yesterday it just started giving me trouble. It began to pop off and on and now is in a constant state of flashing between red and green on the Spkr light next to the volume knob.

I've switched firewire cables, ports on the card. Reseated the card. Finally decided to update the mbox pro driver and protools 9 to the latest versions in the hope it would fix something. The thing that is also weird is that the iLok dongle also gives me trouble lately in the last two weeks. Said it is not found even though I can see it in the device drivers list.

Do I need a new Firewire card? Maybe the Mbox pro is just going bad?

Any thoughts or experience on the matter appreciated. :)

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Mbox pro (two years old) problem. Red Green flashing Spkr

Are you running the Mbox Pro power supply, or powering it via a 6 pin firewire cable?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM

Its the 3rd gen mbox pro. It requires a power supply as far as I know and so I have always had it plugged into the wall. I am usingthe regular SIIG firewire 400 card that also has firewire 800.

But just in case the card is the issue I just ordered the SIIG card that Avid recommends. Even though my card has worked for 2 years straight I am just seeing if its the card before I start an RMA.

This is the mbox pro that I have . The Spkr light flashes between red and green. Then I installed the old driver last night and it would stay red but would pop in and out. As if the Firewire port was resetting over and over again redetecting it. Never just staying on. When its red I can play through it. It sounds fine... but then after about 30 seconds the process starts over.. It pops in and out then disappears. Then it waits like 20 seconds and comes back online. I can play for another 30 secs. ... repeat....

Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 PM

Ok, so I replaced the Firewire card and all seems right as far as my mBox pro is concerned so far. I tested the amplitube with it and all is ok. Its not glitching out after 20 minutes. SO maybe it was the firewire card.

Now the other issue is that my iLok seems to be malfunctioning. It started last week where it was not detecting the iLok even though I can see it in the system list. I've updated the driver and even though the computer sees it fine protools keeps saying its not there.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iLok.jpg (40.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-28-2013, 01:53 AM

You may need to uninstall Pro Tools COMPLETELY (Clean Uninstall)
Uninstall ALL Pace/ilok drivers
Uninstall mbox drivers

Reinstall Pro Tools
Mbox drivers

Launch pro tools and see if the error is still present

My thought is the new license manager drivers may be the issue
Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
Ok, so I replaced the Firewire card and all seems right as far as my mBox pro is concerned so far. I tested the amplitube with it and all is ok. Its not glitching out after 20 minutes. SO maybe it was the firewire card.

Now the other issue is that my iLok seems to be malfunctioning. It started last week where it was not detecting the iLok even though I can see it in the system list. I've updated the driver and even though the computer sees it fine protools keeps saying its not there.

Does this happen to anyone else?
I know it may seem hard to believe but iLoks do fail.
Take your iLok and connect it to another computer and see if iLok.com can read it.

You would probably be better off getting a new iLok and transferring your licenses to the new iLok just to be safe.

I still have my original iLok from 2002 but it's not the one I use.
It still works but many people over the years have seen various forms of failure.

If you wait and the iLok is failing you will have to send it in to them.
Spending $40 now could prevent having to take that step.