Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Default Some 8.1 Thoughts....

Some initial thoughts:

1) the new I/O setup might prove to be useful, but on first glance it's pretty confusing. Busses now seems to be auto assigned. You no longer make 'sub-paths' on your output, but when you build an output, it also gets a matching 'bus' that is 'mapped to output', and you assign the sub-paths as new bussesss.... Confusing. Would love to see a quick tutorial someplace on this to fully understand the change.

2) Still getting stupid graphic corruption on pan windows... Please see

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/367271/Corruption.jpg

Why can't this be fixed? Have seen this since 8.0 and it's really annoying.

3) the 7.1 pan law is still written for SDDS, five across the front. This is a dead format, why on earth isn't PT supporting the new proper, and only used, 7.1 format, with four surround channels, instead of this? Until this is fixed, 7.1 seems 100% useless... The pan window obviously also needs updating to the new proper 7.1 format. It really seems even deceiving that you talk about ProTools being about to do 7.1, as again, nobody mixes in SDDS anymore.
4) PT still grabs the foreground on boot as annoyingly as it used to.

So really aside from the new I/O setup, which will take a bit of getting used to, but will ultimately be cool, I can't tell much anything else new or even fixed bug wise.

I'm excited for the new Omni I/O, but 8.1 is clearly a tiny update meant to address the new interfaces and HEAT integration.

But Digi/Avid, please at least fix the stupid 7.1, you make this big point that the new Omni and stuff can do 7.1, but if it's 7.1 in a format that is dead and useless, what exactly is the point? I recently did a 7.1 project 'in the box' and we had to use Nuendo because ProTool simply can't do it right.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Some 8.1 Thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnielsen View Post
3) the 7.1 pan law is still written for sdds, five across the front. This is a dead format, why on earth isn't pt supporting the new proper, and only used, 7.1 format, with four surround channels, instead of this? Until this is fixed, 7.1 seems 100% useless... The pan window obviously also needs updating to the new proper 7.1 format. It really seems even deceiving that you talk about protools being about to do 7.1, as again, nobody mixes in sdds anymore.
+1000

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Some 8.1 Thoughts....

It seems that you could install 8.1 on 10.5.8 Intel macs but who dare to do it first...
The installer shows a warning and tells you it´s not supported and you have do to it on your own risk...
But you can go on, the installer doesn´t quit or something.