Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Feat. Request - Shortcut for Separate Region at Transients

I suppose Edit>Separate Region at Transients was probably designed for editing drums, but I've found it pretty handy for editing footsteps, hand claps, etc. It would be great if there were a keyboard shortcut like there is for Separate Region at Selection (Cmd+E).

Also, the Pre-Separate Amount option is great but it would be even cooler if there were a Threshold setting for what should be considered a transient.

I suppose I could create a QuicKey like I have for other "missing" shortcuts like Hide Region Names (ahem, hint), but it would be great if it was built-in.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Avid

Default Re: Feat. Request - Shortcut for Separate Region at Transien

Quote:
I suppose Edit>Separate Region at Transients was probably designed for editing drums, but I've found it pretty handy for editing footsteps, hand claps, etc. It would be great if there were a keyboard shortcut like there is for Separate Region at Selection (Cmd+E).

Also, the Pre-Separate Amount option is great but it would be even cooler if there were a Threshold setting for what should be considered a transient.

I suppose I could create a QuicKey like I have for other "missing" shortcuts like Hide Region Names (ahem, hint), but it would be great if it was built-in.
Pascal - have you ever tried Strip Silence? This could give you the threshold and pre-separate amount controls you're looking for.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 11-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks. I prefer Separate Region because it keeps all the air between each footstep. Walking sounds really funny with pure silence between each step.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks. I prefer Separate Region because it keeps all the air between each footstep. Walking sounds really funny with pure silence between each step.
Roger that! Would the "Region End Pad" and/or "Min Strip Duration" help you at all?

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 11-13-2007, 03:20 PM

Mmm. You still end up with gaps because usually the foley transients are not evenly spaced. Separate Region works so well because it only splices on the IN point and not the OUT point, therefore leaving the regions contiguous. It would be great if the Separate dialog was similar to the Strip Silence in that you could have the Threshold control and see a visual preview of the edit splices.

Or, Strip Silence could be updated to include Separate at Region as an option. However, it would only really be beneficial if the OK button, or whatever, would be highlighted so as to not have to use the mouse to make the edit. I would just want to Cmd+U + Enter and have it remember my last used setting.

And...I'll expect my name in the Pro Tools credits!

Thanks Tim!
Old 11-13-2007, 03:22 PM

I use strip silence all the time. It's great on transient material. Here's a trick when you want to extract peaky stuff from wild tracks:

1) Turn view auto-created regions to "on" in the region bin pull down menu
2) Get a source sound effect like a gun series or wild track of footsteps (anything that you want to mine the transient sfx out of) and put the material on a scratch track (I call them bench tracks).
3) Use Strip Silence and find a suitable set of settings so that you are able to separate each effect as well as you can (basically so that SS creates a region for each one)
4) When you hit "Strip", the region bin will populate with the extracted regions
5) Turn the timeline drop order to "left to right"
6) Delete the material on the scratch track on which that you just performed SS.
7) Reach over to the region bin and select all of the extracted regions that were just created.
8) Pull those onto your scratch track.

No wasted time mining out the good stuff! Now you have all of the extracted regions lined up in a neat row with no gaps between. Makes it easier to pick out which ones you want.

This technique kicks ass when extracting punches, bullet impacts, falls, gunshots, tons o' stuff. Save mucho time.

Cheers,
S.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Or, Strip Silence could be updated to include Separate at Region as an option.
There is a "seperate"-button in strip silence, maybe that helps?
Timothy
Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 AM

I love you guys, but you're missing the point.

I don't want to press any buttons or fiddle with menus. My feature request is for a shortcut key. The threshold thing would just be icing on the cake.

Edit>Separate at Transients works great, but it just one of maybe 3 or 4 things for which I still have to use a menu. Like "Save As" and "Hide Region Names" (I made a QuicKey for Hide Names).

It's not like I'm breaking my wrist using the menu or anything, but it just seems worthy of a shortcut to me.

Opt+E? Ctrl+E?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 AM

Regarding shortcuts:
OS X allows you to create custom shortcuts for every menu command in every application.

System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Application Keyboard Shortcuts.

Just add "Pro Tools", enter the exact name of the menu command (e.g. "Bounce To QuickTime Movie") and your shortcut.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Regarding shortcuts:
OS X allows you to create custom shortcuts for every menu command in every application.

System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Application Keyboard Shortcuts.

Just add "Pro Tools", enter the exact name of the menu command (e.g. "Bounce To QuickTime Movie") and your shortcut.
I've never been able to get that to work. How do you add submenus like View>Region>Name?