Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Default What to keep on Session drive

My PT session drive is starting to get full. Of course I have everything backed up, but I've always hesitated to delete anything off the session drive...not sure why.

So, I was wondering, assuming everything backed up from session drive on a regular basis - which it is, how do you all keep your session organized? Do you automatically delete anything older than a certain point? Or some other method? I want to get the drive better organized.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Re: What to keep on Session drive

How large is your current session drive? You may consider buying a new drive of equal or greater size and just transfer current sessions to the new drive, and keeping everything on the old drive as a second backup.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
How large is your current session drive? You may consider buying a new drive of equal or greater size and just transfer current sessions to the new drive, and keeping everything on the old drive as a second backup.

My current session drive is 750gig, more than enough for anything current. Eventually I'll get a 1tb SSD, then I'll do as you suggested. For now, though, I want to clean off some stuff and organize things better. That's why I'm asking how you all keep things organized on the session drive.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Everything is organized by artist/project in the root directory of the session drive; nothing special. I back up every session that was modified when I get home to a 5TB backup drive and also to a NAS drive. Once the project is finished (and backed up to both drives), I remove it from the session drive (500gb SSD). I usually have between 300-400gb being used on the session drive for current projects during any given month. When a backup drive gets full, I buy a new (bigger) drive, copy all the old sessions over, and stow the old backup drive in a fireproof safe.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Not really answering your question but what i ended up doing was putting an fourth drive in. A nice cheap slow ass 4 TB 5k spinner that is both whole system back up and session drive copy. Then I can load old stuff onto DVDs/external drives from the session drives as actual back ups/archives, and if I don't have to pull something back onto the session drive from the internal copy in 90 days, i erase it/them from the internal back up.

I started out with 180 days, but 90 ended up being good for me.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
...I want to clean off some stuff and organize things better. That's why I'm asking how you all keep things organized on the session drive.
I backup to two identical externals (several pairs of spinners, in my case). Active projects, then, have 3 identical copies. When the project is 100% done, I delete the contents of the original session folder. Then, into this (now empty) session folder, I add a note telling me where (i.e. which 2 external drives) the backups are located. Just make sure you fully understand disk allocation, and make sure the backups have ALL the content. My internal session drive has LOTS of tiny folders, containing nothing more than a note telling me where to find the backups. Works for me!!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 07-09-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I backup to two identical externals (several pairs of spinners, in my case). Active projects, then, have 3 identical copies. When the project is 100% done, I delete the contents of the original session folder. Then, into this (now empty) session folder, I add a note telling me where (i.e. which 2 external drives) the backups are located. Just make sure you fully understand disk allocation, and make sure the backups have ALL the content. My internal session drive has LOTS of tiny folders, containing nothing more than a note telling me where to find the backups. Works for me!!!

That's actually a decent idea, Gary. I like the simplicity of it. Thanks. In my case I'm only backing up my own stuff as I'm not mixing for others (usually). Thanks for this tip!

Old 07-09-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Not really answering your question but what i ended up doing was putting an fourth drive in. A nice cheap slow ass 4 TB 5k spinner that is both whole system back up and session drive copy. Then I can load old stuff onto DVDs/external drives from the session drives as actual back ups/archives, and if I don't have to pull something back onto the session drive from the internal copy in 90 days, i erase it/them from the internal back up.

I started out with 180 days, but 90 ended up being good for me.

Yeah, I'm thinking of going to 180days too. If I haven't done anything with a project for 6 months, I'm likely not going to for a long while.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the tips/suggestions. Helps a lot to think through the best way to do it.