Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-01-2013, 09:43 AM

Default Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

By the way B&H photo is claiming they'll have the long optical thunderbolt cables available in the middle of September.

Currently I'm running two 10 foot cables with a Belkin thunderbolt dock in between to get my magma into the machine room which has been working perfectly.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM

Here's the problem with Avid making an all in one thunderbolt solution for the new Mac Pro's. A lot of Avids "pro" customers, Chris Lord Alge, Fab DuPont, like using A/D D/A converters that aren't Avid's. If Avid were to make a HDX thunderbolt version of the 003 there wouldn't be direct connection of the Symphony I/O or Aurora converters to the processor laced pcie cards, it would most likely be connected through...ADAT. Then the people that come on here claiming they spent billions and ca-jillions of dollars on systems that are just in their house (not including the crap-illions they spent on the system where they really make the money) would bitch and moan that Avid didn't make an Aurora thunderbolt interface that is HDX compatible because ADAT is not professional enough for them and the amount of money they've spent since 1845. Cause let's forget about what is practical for awhile (that's what the president does) and look at what "looks" professional.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 PM

No problem.......two different interfaces just like Avid has presently one with A/D D/A and one without .........

You better move out of your house.......
Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 PM

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt/

No biggie, carry on.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooks View Post
Here's the problem with Avid making an all in one thunderbolt solution for the new Mac Pro's. A lot of Avids "pro" customers, Chris Lord Alge, Fab DuPont,.
I can't help but laugh my ass off that you just put these two in the same sentence.

One is an engineer with a huge track record and one is.....

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 AM

Ah yes.. the new mac pro and avid in the same sentence a killer as for the two names named, there's a difference of oh say almost 30 years apart so sure one has had more time to mix/produce more records But still for a guy with only 12 years in the biz, he's landed some major name.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-03-2013, 03:59 PM

Yeah, Apple and Avid in the same sentence one is making a lot of money and the other........
Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Two completely different market, and one is actually making money not because of their daw or even computers.. but because of their cell phones.. so no comparison there.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Two completely different market, and one is actually making money not because of their daw or even computers.. but because of their cell phones.. so no comparison there.
^ That.

Took Apple 4 years to make a new Mac Pro, but they'll give you a new phone to buy every year. Plus, with how proprietary the new Mac Pro is, it might as well be a glorified iPad.

I still prefer OSX for audio production, but I'm probably never going to buy another Mac at this rate. I've had a number of my friends asking me to help them build machines like mine over the last year, because Apple's current direction doesn't show signs of actually caring about the Pro market anymore.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Typical Windows crap argument against Apple who started with computers and keeps looking forward but I guess you have Windows 8...Lol ....maybe Avid can come out with a Linux version .......Lol

When Apple releases their new MacPro which will show large quantities sold in turn help Avid sales because that's how the food chain works.

Apple knows how to make money and Avid knows how to lose money....

Avid Technology 5.41 and keeps going down.......