Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2019, 12:08 AM

Default Bounce Issues - +6-8db added after bounce/ export

+ 8db added after bounce/ export

Logic X
PT12.18.7
OS High Sierra 10.13.6
UA Apollo 8p X3 with latest version of Console

Scenario: Aspiring Drummer tracking to backing track with drums heavily present

So directly after installing High Sierra (After running on Mojave), I exported some tracks my partner tracked in Logic at 24/44.1 to Wav files and dropped them into a 24/ 44.1 PT Template session I typically use as a starting point for drums.

Got the mix sounding great and with none of the issues I will describe below. Bounced to mp3- no change from what I was hearing in our room.

Returned the following day to make minimal tweaks and after seemingly doing nothing other than adding a small amount of backing track (Not present in the previous mix), reducing verb on the snare and slight tom eq and volume adjustment... My mixes are now +8db

Aside from adding volume and girth to the toms which are gated until present, no volume adds were made. I mixed this thing to just below the break up point the day before and it sounded WAY different... definitely as loud as I could get it but nowhere near what I produced the next day.

I have had different issues a long time ago with samples/ backing tracks not jiving with bit/ sample rate however it just strikes me as odd that the first mix I had no backing track and it sounded sweet. After adding the backing track i get the problem, and pulling it completely out doesnt solve it.

I'm pulling my hair out as we have a busy upcoming month.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-24-2019, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Bounce Issues - +6-8db added after bounce/ export

A few thoughts:
How do Logic and Pro Tools interact on this?
Does it only happen to files that have been open on both DAW's?
Can you Clip-Gain the affected tracks as a "fix"?
If its the entire mixes(as you said), is it now clipping the master?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-24-2019, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Bounce Issues - +6-8db added after bounce/ export

Aside from the bounce export issue they run great, granted I had only worked a day on the new OS. However, I did leave that day with a normal sounding mix.

So the next day I came back to make a few minor adjustments. Bounced and sent without thinking about.

I deleted the tracks i was working with, pulled the next songs tracks in and saved as a different file name. Mixed, bounced and sent that song off.

Opened up a new session and decided I wanted to sample a part from the last project i was in so I reopened the project, made the sample and listened to it. Thats when I realized my gain issue.

My master meter in Console peaks just below red lining when. After I play bounce or export and play back, its completely in the red and distorting. I noticed that youtube playback was also peaking heavily in the red.

Yes, I did try clip gaining the recorded track and also lowering my stereo buss going to the print track. It works but definitely doesn't sound like what it sounds like before bouncing.

This gain thing has never been an issue for me and again, was not present the day before. I'm leaning towards an OS incompatibility issue or maybe a audio midi setup tweak.