Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Avid Madness

to be honest.. I brought PT10 A long time ago. way before I got elvenrack. - its the free version pf PT that comes shipped with it.. and you dont need to install it or do anything, as you already have 9.. - you cant seriosuly expect to get a free full version 10 becasue you brought elven rack.. your buying hardware and not software.. they supply the PTLE with it so you can control the software editor if you so wish.. but not required really.

And seriosuly.. why would they sell it without the software.. seems like you gotta get of your high horse and start to realise that avid is a buiness and not your personal software house.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Default Re: OK, so here's a serious question for Avid regarding "openness"...

You're not supplying it to me "FOR FREE". I bought an 11R when they first came out. Been using it for years. If it's free MAX, then it's free. My "8.whatever" still works and I haven't purchased the upgrade, I keep reading about nightmares.
But it's NOT free and the longer I wait the more upgrading seems to cost.

Please, the people here seem to have a brain so don't treat us like we don't and don't tow the company rhetoric. Normally, nothing here is free!
If a copy of 7.? was "free" with the "interface" the the copy of 10.? should be a small free investment to keep people happy. I don't always want something for nothing, even 10 for a reasonable upgrade fee would be great.
With profiling tech what it is update amps and cabs should be free!

Just my thoughts, lspaulsp (Rick)
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM

@dream5695: I know this is less than ideal, but what if you purchased the 11R with the bundled PT9/10 and sold your current license since you won't be needing two of them? Just a thought, that's what I would probably do anyway.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspaulsp View Post
You're not supplying it to me "FOR FREE". I bought an 11R when they first came out. Been using it for years. If it's free MAX, then it's free. My "8.whatever" still works and I haven't purchased the upgrade, I keep reading about nightmares.
But it's NOT free and the longer I wait the more upgrading seems to cost.

Please, the people here seem to have a brain so don't treat us like we don't and don't tow the company rhetoric. Normally, nothing here is free!
If a copy of 7.? was "free" with the "interface" the the copy of 10.? should be a small free investment to keep people happy. I don't always want something for nothing, even 10 for a reasonable upgrade fee would be great.
With profiling tech what it is update amps and cabs should be free!

Just my thoughts, lspaulsp (Rick)
Again, Eleven Rack lists for $1250 US and sells for around $899. With or without Pro Tools software, this would be the price. Pro Tools 10 is $699, yet the price of Eleven Rack, including the ERXP is the same as when it came with Pro Tools 8 LE and no ERXP.

Mbox Mini was $299 without Pro Tools Express. We now include Pro Tools Express with every new Mbox Mini. The price is still $299.

Hopefully that clears it up.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
Again, Eleven Rack lists for $1250 US and sells for around $899. With or without Pro Tools software, this would be the price. Pro Tools 10 is $699, yet the price of Eleven Rack, including the ERXP is the same as when it came with Pro Tools 8 LE and no ERXP.

Mbox Mini was $299 without Pro Tools Express. We now include Pro Tools Express with every new Mbox Mini. The price is still $299.

Hopefully that clears it up.
You are kind of making our point for us. If the "value" in the 11R is the hardware and the software is "free", why do we have to pay $500 to upgrade? :)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
You are kind of making our point for us. If the "value" in the 11R is the hardware and the software is "free", why do we have to pay $500 to upgrade? :)
I think you're looking at it backwards. If Pro Tools didn't come with Eleven Rack, you would have to pay $699 more for Pro Tools. Instead, we include it and subsidize the software cost with the hardware, which, by the way, Avid and Digidesign have been doing forever.

That does not mean the upgrade to a new version of software has less value, it means your way into to the system is advantaged, price-wise.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM

I don't know if everyone has only used Pro Tools around here, but upgrading at a cost is the norm with most products. I can't tell you how many devices come with either Cubase LE or Studio One Light. If either one comes out with a new version, you have to pay. If you want the full version, you have to pay.

Also, where does the $500 come from? I jest checked Sweetwater and they show PT9 -> 10 $299 and PT8 -> 10 $399
Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
I don't know if everyone has only used Pro Tools around here, but upgrading at a cost is the norm with most products. I can't tell you how many devices come with either Cubase LE or Studio One Light. If either one comes out with a new version, you have to pay. If you want the full version, you have to pay.

Also, where does the $500 come from? I jest checked Sweetwater and they show PT9 -> 10 $299 and PT8 -> 10 $399
Correct.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Avid Madness

Maybe look at the secondhand market. Used Eleven Racks pop up all the time for very little dough.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
I think you're looking at it backwards. If Pro Tools didn't come with Eleven Rack, you would have to pay $699 more for Pro Tools. Instead, we include it and subsidize the software cost with the hardware, which, by the way, Avid and Digidesign have been doing forever.

That does not mean the upgrade to a new version of software has less value, it means your way into to the system is advantaged, price-wise.
I think you missed the smiley at the end of my post.