Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Default Phasing issues... confused

I have set up a mix whereby I'm outputting drums to individual channels on a desk. I have set each track in PT to have no main output but I'm using the first of the send slots to assign individual outputs for example kick-output A1, snare-A2 etc
I have also set up (from the second send slot) a stereo send to outputs 9-10 and this comes up on those desk channels with a hardware compressor inserted.
Whilst I record everything sounds fine... but playing back and the phasing between the individual tracks and the compressed pair is most unpleasant.... however if I switch delay compensation off it's fine again.

There are tdm plug ins on some individual tracks but they only show a small delay

Anyone got any ideas on this?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Phasing issues... confused

Sends have a 10 sample delay.

What are you trying to accomplish and why have you chosen this way to set things up?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Sends have a 10 sample delay.

What are you trying to accomplish and why have you chosen this way to set things up?
Thanks for replying.
I'm trying to get an easy way (and totally recallable) to send drums through the desk and have parallel compression using hardware. I'd assumed that the sends would have a delay but had hoped each separate send would have the same delay thereby avoiding any problems

In the past I've tried bussing (the signal I want compressing) to a stereo auxillary and then outputting that to the desk whilst having the main track outputs sending to individual channels on the desk. That was a definite failure and phase was always an issue.

This is the closest I've got to achieving what I want!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fly View Post
Thanks for replying.
I'm trying to get an easy way (and totally recallable) to send drums through the desk and have parallel compression using hardware. I'd assumed that the sends would have a delay but had hoped each separate send would have the same delay thereby avoiding any problems

In the past I've tried bussing (the signal I want compressing) to a stereo auxillary and then outputting that to the desk whilst having the main track outputs sending to individual channels on the desk. That was a definite failure and phase was always an issue.

This is the closest I've got to achieving what I want!

Might be that the mono sends are "direct" and the stereo one has more delay because it's summing? Just a guess.

Have you tried Double Assigning by holding down Control while making the second assignment? But then you wouldn't have separate control over the amounts.

IMO you should be doing the parallel compression in the analog domain anyway. You've got to log and recall the compressor anyway, plus fader positions, sends etc if you're mixing on a desk. So what's a few more things?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:20 PM

Might be that the mono sends are "direct" and the stereo one has more delay because it's summing? Just a guess.

Interesting! but why when DC is off is everything alright?

Have you tried Double Assigning by holding down Control while making the second assignment? But then you wouldn't have separate control over the amounts.

Quite and the automating the separate control really helps reign in cymbal heavy drummers in choruses!

IMO you should be doing the parallel compression in the analog domain anyway. You've got to log and recall the compressor anyway, plus fader positions, sends etc if you're mixing on a desk. So what's a few more things?

A lot of the work we do is one or two day sessions where we have to work very quickly so I've started having all the desk faders level and doing all volume ramps etc in the box. We were doing the parallel compression from auxillaries on the desk but obviously over time and different mixes these positions change. I'm basically searching for the easiest option if I have to recall.
Thanks for your pointers tho