Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 02-07-2002, 08:02 AM

Default Re: vocal recording compression/levels?

not to sound stupid, but . . . [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

how 'exactly' do i apply compression and 'dial in' settings for it? i know that may sound ignorant and well, it is. lol seriously, i managed to get some DRY, scratch vocals down last night. i do have a lot of background hiss but it'll do for now. is there any way to selectively 'reduce' the level of the hiss? otherwise, i'll attempt a more serious tracking session. (i had a very limited time, last night) also, i did not apply any compression/limiter AS i was tracking. i figured i would apply it afterward. is that typically okay? aaaaaah, lots of questions. thanks again!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2002, 08:04 AM

okay, let me clarify a little . . . [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

i know how to access the EQ plug-ins to modify them...a little. where do i set the compression ratio? and what type of compression should i insert? (mono?) i think i follow you on the 'soft knee' stuff. thanks for your patience. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2002, 03:04 PM

And yet something else popped into my mind...

1) Protools has a soft-clipping feature that prevents you from clipping when occasional hitting the red.

2) applying a compressor-plugin WHILE RECORDING wont help you in reducing the dynamics....protools will still record the dry track without the plugins

Bastiaan
Old 03-04-2002, 10:27 PM

You actually can record a processed signal into PTfree. First add an aux track (CTRL-Shift N). Set the input on that track to Input L or R, depending on what input on your sound card you're recording from. Set you output to Bus 1. Now insert the compressor plug-in on the Aux track. Go to you vocal track (the actual audio track). Set your input to bus 1 and your output to Output L or R. Now everything you record will go throught the Aux track with plugs before going to the audio track and being laid down on your hard drive.

This can work well to use as a bit of a limiter, but be judicious, don't overdo it as it can't be fixed later. It is also wise not to do much else to the signal, especially reverb, etc. for the same reason.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:16 AM

IMHO AUX track with plugin can be good to record some plugin direct to HD, but this can't be good to protect for cliping. The signal goes first to AD on sound card...