Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM

Default Effects on Vocals

Hello all members, Can some 1 tell me what are some effects commonly used on vocals? I'm trying to figure out how some people music sounds as if a crowd of people chatting at once, even if the chat is just the simple word, "hey"? I'm sure they didnt have a club full of peole come to the studio to do that.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Effects on Vocals

The only way to get the sound of a crowd is to go find one and record it. Many a crowd has been recorded at a bar, theater or concert and then the audio gets flown into a Pro Tools session. As for effects on vocals, you should start with a nice reverb(NOT like Dverb), usually a Plate is a good choice for vocals. Then maybe add a little delay(echo) and the time is dependent on the song tempo and the overall effect you are looking for. For uptempo stuff, I will often use 110ms of delay with very little feedback(repeats) and mix it so you just barely hear it(maybe turn it up till you hear it and then back it off 3db). Same with the verb, keep it subtle. Faster songs get shorter verb and delay times(like the 110ms delay and 1.7-2.3 seconds of verb). Slower songs get longer times(maybe 385ms of delay and 2.5-3.3 seconds of verb). Delays can also be timed to match the beat like a quarter or half note delay(longer times usually want more repeats too). Another common "effect" for vocals is to double-track them(meaning sing it again just the same way). Background vocals get double-tracked a lot too(or triple or quadrupled ala Mutt Lange)

BTW, use delay and reverb on aux tracks and use aux sends to feed them.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-03-2009, 12:03 AM

Ay, Thanks for the feedback. it really helped giving me more insight on what i was looking for. I'm a rapper, and i"ve been doubling my vocals so that my voice doesn't sound so dry. I was just courios to what effects i can apply using just 1 track. And I believe you have given me enough to go and play with, Thanks again, and thanks Digi!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM

OG,
One common thing I use on Rap vocals particularly is Chorus and Slapback delay. Both of the ones Digi gaves us as AIR plugs work fantastic.

Then of course I tweak them further with compression and enhanced stereo field.

Chorus is VERY common on vocals, and if done right can give you somethign uplifting for a chorus section. After all, thats what a double track does, is create a light choursing effect.

Another thing you can do is parrallel compression with a tube - maybe like a Fairchild plug in, to really saturate your parallel, this can give a nice body.

Slap delay on vocals will give you that live on stage sound. Or more like a speach in front of 1000.

Now the next step would be to get yourself a $5000 eventide ultraharmonizer. That is probably one of the most commonly used outboard gear pieces on EVERY record since the dawn of man.

GL
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1