Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-06-2020, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Using Zoom meeting and screen sharing PT audio

I don't use Zoom but when I saw it mentioned in the thread title I had to chime in. For those that pay attention to current news events I'm sure you've become aware that people are doing meetings online via any one of a number of methods one of which is Zoom. Turns out Zoom is a target for hackers and thieves and isn't all that secure.

Take this with whatever amount of grains of salt you want but just thought I'd pass along what I've read about this.

QAPLA!
Old 04-06-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I don't use Zoom but when I saw it mentioned in the thread title I had to chime in. For those that pay attention to current news events I'm sure you've become aware that people are doing meetings online via any one of a number of methods one of which is Zoom. Turns out Zoom is a target for hackers and thieves and isn't all that secure.

Take this with whatever amount of grains of salt you want but just thought I'd pass along what I've read about this.
It's not hackers, strictly speaking.

People google for zoom meeting URLs that have been posted in public (Twitter, Facebook etc), join the meetings and disrupt them, often with pretty vile racist content. The teaching stuff i'm doing, the meeting URLs are only shared to people who should have access to them. Of course, if they then shared publicly...
Old 04-06-2020, 11:50 AM

Yes, the three things Zoom recommended were:

1) Require a password for meetings;
2) Only the host should be allowed to share anything;
3) Don't post a link to the meeting on Social Media.

For me, number 3) should be number one and possibly the only requirement. It's like giving out an open invitation to get hacked or posting on social media pics of the great vacation you're on. Why not just put a sign on your door, "We're away for a week, help yourself to any of our stuff".
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-14-2020, 12:37 AM

Hi,

I've been trying to do the same thing, but after installing Zoom on several computers it does not show in the Audio Midi setup as a device and won't show up as a device within Pro Tools audio engine dialog.
Been trying to google this topic but can't find a solution how to make the zoom driver show up in MacOS.
I'm on an iMac with High Sierra with PT Ultimate 2018.12 and a HD Native. i just talked to a colleague with an older setup and it works fine on his.

Hoping someone here knows...

Thanks,
Sven
Old 04-23-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
We just did an 8-hour spotting session for a film with 11 people and a shared PT Video screen and stereo audio direkt from PT. Worked great.
You have to set PT playback engine to system out and then in the audio prefs of the mac to the Zoom audio engine or straight in PT, can't remember.

No need for other tools.
Hi, I've been having a hard time getting this to work. I've watched many You Tube videos where people just click "Share Computer Audio" and "Computer Sound Only" in the advanced menu and boom, they get it to work.
I've never seen anyone address the Mac OS Audio Midi Setup or Sound preferences. they do it all through the Zoom Audio pref's.
I cant get it to work.
I would think that the dance teachers and music teachers using zoom are not creating an aggregate device or using Loopback, Ladiocast, OBS, Soundflower... no one has ever mentioned those things. they just click 'share computer audio' and their good to go. WTF
can someone go through their Audio Midi setup settings and Sound Pref's for me? it would be appreciated.
thanks,

BK
Old 04-24-2020, 08:15 AM

Here's a pretty thorough walk through of someone's setup using aggregate devices (courtesy of Pro Tools Expert and the fine people at FinalFinal) - it's a bit complex, but gets around the issue of 48k only with Zoom. It's not how I'm doing it, but it's pretty detailed and should work.

https://bit.ly/3aGsTK9

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-29-2020, 07:11 AM

I came here to solve my teaching problem with PT and Zoom
I see there is a fix, though it all seems so complicated!
I will have to study this thread. It's imperative for me.
Thank you everyone for posting.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:36 AM

If you're on a native rig, if your session is at 48k, if all your audio sources are within Pro Tools, then it's fairly easy. Anytime any of those things is not true things get more complicated.

Personally, I have an HDX rig which feeds a CoreAudio interface (Metric Halo ULN8) digitally for monitor control and monitoring non-Pro Tools sources (itunes, talkback mic, system audio, etc).

At 48k all of this can feed Zoom no problem, at other sample rates I need to feed the ULN8 from PT analog so that system sample rate can stay at 48k for Zoom.

One caveat here; when many CoreAudio apps (like Zoom) are presented with *more* than two channels (for example, the ULN8 presents 32 outputs to CoreAudio), they just sum everything down to mono - stereo in to Zoom allows far better quality sound (assuming "original sound" is turned on in Zoom), so I need to use Loopback to to create an audio device that picks off two and only two channels from my Metric Halo CoreAudio feeds and that's what Zoom sees as its audio input. There's also a few different locations you have to go to to turn on stereo sound in Zoom: both in the app's audio prefs, but also in the meeting prefs in your account page on Zoom's website (they really make this convoluted).

All of this works, and sounds good, but is admittedly moderately complex. The aggregate device method suggested in the above linked paper would probably also work well with mixed sample rates, but is only for native systems.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 04-30-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

Zoom 5.0 update today with many security fixes and improvements https://zoom.us/docs/en-us/zoom-v5-0.html
Old 04-30-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor4814 View Post
Zoom 5.0 update today with many security fixes and improvements https://zoom.us/docs/en-us/zoom-v5-0.html
Does anyone know if they fixed the 3rd party webcam (ie Epoccam) support in the app? I've been stuck using the browser version so I can use Epoccam.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)