Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2019, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Using VEP6 with two Macs to offload CPU ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ivan View Post
So, apparently I am unable to update my MBP as I do not have an up to date graphics card??
I then thought it would be as simple as buying a new card...no such luck...earlier MBPs can not be upgraded without this.
Like I said it's not mandatory that both computers have the same operating system. Nice but not mandatory. Just wish it weren't El Crapitan that's on the MBP.Maybe you can grab either Sierra or High Sierra and put that on the MBP. As to sources for thos OSX versions if you can get them via your AppStore account take a look at Amazon for them. Some they have on optical disk and some on a thumb drive.

QAPLA!
Old 02-18-2019, 01:44 PM

I have all the OSX versions since 10.8.5 with full and combo installers soif you need one of these oet me know

And Thank you Jack for helping out here.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-18-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Like I said it's not mandatory that both computers have the same operating system. Nice but not mandatory. Just wish it weren't El Crapitan that's on the MBP.Maybe you can grab either Sierra or High Sierra and put that on the MBP. As to sources for thos OSX versions if you can get them via your AppStore account take a look at Amazon for them. Some they have on optical disk and some on a thumb drive.
Yes, I was just thinking about what you said and I would much prefer not to be on El Captain!!
Old 02-18-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I have all the OSX versions since 10.8.5 with full and combo installers soif you need one of these oet me know

And Thank you Jack for helping out here.

So, you would be able to get my MBP to the latest OSX?
This would be excellent!
Old 02-18-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
So, you would be able to get my MBP to the latest OSX?
This would be excellent!
Well the latest OS Version is Mojave 10.14.2 or .3 so that update is done from your MBP but if you want to use an older OS version like Sierra for example then I can upload that file to fileshare or similar for you.

As Mojave is going to be supported very soon within a few weeks I believe I would install the latest now as many users have already done that update with success. All 4 of our studio Mac Pro and my MBP 2018 has Mojave on them now and everything has gone well so far.

Of course some users will run into issues as the PT2018.12 s NOT supported yet but the new PT2019 is on the say with Mojave support so I would either wait for that update and install Mojave then or install Mojave now and use it until the new PT2019 arrives. Let me know what road you wanna take and I will look up the version of macOS you want and upload that for you.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Yeah, as Jack was saying, I don't think it necessarily needs to be Mojave; it just needs to not even El Captain!!
Old 02-19-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, as Jack was saying, I don't think it necessarily needs to be Mojave; it just needs to not even El Captain!!
Exactly. It just needs something better than that.

I think I mentioned this but this is where having a good solid backup helps. That way you can get back to a working system if things don't work out. It would allow you to experiment with different OSX versions to see what works for you. External hard drives are cheap these days - I use a 4TB 7200 rpm LaCie as my system clone/backup drive. On that I have the three boot partitions from my old iMac and the two boot partitions on my current 2012 MacPro (OSX 10.10.5 and OSX 10.12.6). Yes my current system has two boot partitions - it's a 1TB ssd on a pcie card split into two partitions. That way I can experiment as I want to and still be able to get back to working if thing go toes up.

For partitioning I use OSX disk utility and for backups I use Carbon Copy Cloner. It can never be stressed enough - having a working clone is one of the best insurances you can have (besides ZDT coverage on your iLok).

Flash news - as I'm typing this I got an email from VSL announcing a new version of VEPro - version 7. You can now buy just one, two or three licenses instead of being stuck with the three you get currently. There's a bunch of new features with it as well. Upgrade price from VEPro 4/5/6 is 75 Euro (reg 95 Euro) with additional licenses at 45 Euro (reg 65 Euro). New purchases at 145 Euro (reg 195 Euro).

edit for additional:
Pricing for upgraders is $84.96 single license with additional licenses $50.98. In Euros it's 75 for upgrade and 45 for each additional license. See this page: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Ensemble_Pro

QAPLA!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:23 AM

That's great!
Works out cheaper to get he new one.
So, I would need two licences to run this on both computers?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
That's great!
Works out cheaper to get he new one.
So, I would need two licences to run this on both computers?
If you want to run a server instance on the second computer AND the first computer you would need two licenses. And two Vienna keys. If you're only running the server on the second computer you don't need a second license.

Note that there's no estimated release date for VEPro 7 and no mention of how long the intro pricing lasts. At the price it's at right now it would be a good birthday present (67 on Wednesday).

QAPLA!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:31 AM

A very happy birthday to you Jack!
Treat yourself to VEP7!!