Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-27-2013, 01:42 AM

Default Issue with recording with Eleven Rack Patches into Logic Pro

Hi there,

I am a Protools user and I use the Eleven Rack as my Audio Interface and guitar rig. I was asked recently to do some guitar recordings for another musician but this guy used Logic Pro 8 or 9, (unsure). I took my Eleven Rack to do the recordings but found that I could only record a dry signal into Logic whereas I wanted to record using some of my favourite Eleven Rack/Rig patches for example "E2 Vari Volcanic".

Question - Is there a way for me to record the actual Eleven Rack/Rig patches into Logic Pro? I have read the manual and done Avid/DUC/Web searches etc but can find no answer.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

gregoryl
Old 07-27-2013, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Issue with recording with Eleven Rack Patches into Logic Pro

Hi,
Im not really familiar with Logic, im a Cubase user.
Anyway, there's two things you could try, but im not sure if it will work the same way in Logic.
By default the first stereo input has the guitar left and the mic right (both dry).
Add another bus and select stereo 2, then select the Eleven Rig L & R. Use this for recording the actual 11Rack patches. You can also change the device port in the first input, but if you have both, you can record two tracks at once, one dry and then another one with the patch, that way you can change it later if you want.
Or another way of doing it is just connecting the output of the 11Rack into your friend's soundcard.

Also make sure you have the latest 11Rack driver.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryl View Post
Hi there,

I am a Protools user and I use the Eleven Rack as my Audio Interface and guitar rig. I was asked recently to do some guitar recordings for another musician but this guy used Logic Pro 8 or 9, (unsure). I took my Eleven Rack to do the recordings but found that I could only record a dry signal into Logic whereas I wanted to record using some of my favourite Eleven Rack/Rig patches for example "E2 Vari Volcanic".

Question - Is there a way for me to record the actual Eleven Rack/Rig patches into Logic Pro? I have read the manual and done Avid/DUC/Web searches etc but can find no answer.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

gregoryl
Did you install the latest 11 Rack drivers on your friend's machine? Being that your friend's machine is a Mac did you setup an aggregate device in OSX audio/MIDI setup? Or did you use the 11R as the sole interface? Properly set up you should be able to see all the I/O on the 11R in Logic I would think.

QAPLA!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 PM

hey gregoryl
channel 1 or 2 or 1-2 (stereo) are the dry channels.
If you want the effected sound, select Channel 3 or 4 or 3-4(stereo) as your inputs and that will get your eleven rack sounds right into the track.
You only have to use the USB cable that way. make sure in both audio setup AND the audio preferences in Logic that you've selected the Eleven rack as the input device.

Good luck
Jeff
Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 AM

Hi there,

I am new to this forum so I am hoping my thanks go out to all of you not only because I have an answer but also I was blown away by the speed in which people were willing to assist.

Well the answer, using the Eleven Rack as an interface and recording effected guitars into Logic Pro and selecting Inputs 3-4 and not 1-2 was absolutely correct.

Thanks heaps for your help.

All the best

Greg
The Widest Ocean
Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 AM

Thanks Jeff, really appreciate your help with this, Greg
Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Hey Greg,
Glad I could help. Your next question will probably be about latency. (that's because when I went thru this (last week) it was the next thing I noticed) Make sure in Logic you set the buffer to the smallest size to reduce latency. If your computer falls asleep; when you wake it, the latency will be back. All you have to do is disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it.

Jeff
Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 AM

Hi Jeff,
I have been away and only just picked this one up. Hey matey I found out on the fly about the latency but got it sorted so no problem there. Once again thanks for the response.
All the best.
Greg