Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2018, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Clean Power - UPS specific type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
First one is online, second is line-interactive.
First one is 50dBA at 1m and dissipates 317 BTU/hr.
Which is great for an online.

My online ones are rated 38dBA to 55dBA (full load) at 1m and dissipate 529 BTU/hr. I would not have them in the same room as where I'm working.
But I don't use online for "power cieanup" -- I use it because there's no transfer time.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:56 PM

The over-engineered power supplies on my Mark Levinson power amps do AC regenerative power. An attempt to cut down on power supply harmonics. Have no idea if it helps, but makes some good marketing.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I think we need to define what "cleaning up power" means. Electricians don't agree on these made-up terms even.

Once again, see previous. Shielding doesn't have anything to do with cleaning up power. You can have the cleanest power on the planet and shielding will still be necessary because power is going to generate fields.
I never said shielding has anything to do with cleaning up incoming AC mains power. I was just stating facts about switch mode power supplies and how they have their own demons when it comes to cleanliness - they can introduce emi/rfi which can get into all kinds of electronics.

Electricians don't care about clean power - all they care about is safe delivery of adequate power.

QAPLA!
Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
First one is online, second is line-interactive.
First one is 50dBA at 1m and dissipates 317 BTU/hr.
Which is great for an online.

My online ones are rated 38dBA to 55dBA (full load) at 1m and dissipate 529 BTU/hr. I would not have them in the same room as where I'm working.
But I don't use online for "power cieanup" -- I use it because there's no transfer time.
I oversize my ups's to the point they're barely hitting 50% load and I stick them under the desk. That makes it at least 2 meters from my ears.

I spec my ups's to do more than one thing; that it does power cleanup/ voltage regulation/zero transfer time is all good to me. And like I said I have essentially two stage power cleanup with the APC power center AND the ups's.

QAPLA!
Old 11-18-2018, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the thoughts so far on this, gents. Lots of good info. A couple responses/answers/questions to various points made are posted below. More later as this got big again.

I'm only going to involve an electrician if I do the isolation transformer outlets or even a https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-IG536...dp/B00KNQRYVO/ I've not investigated thoroughly, but so far I am left to believe that the more effective way of utilizing this type of outlet would involve some wire routing all the way back to the breaker box. One thing to note on this whole thing is that I'm getting to that life stage where downsizing to a ranch house is a year or two out. I don't want to invest big money into something I'll be leaving behind. Next house all out.

Ideally, I would want the UPS to be mostly silent and big enough to handle the studio rig. I would want to have PC,, Monitors, Monitor Screen, interface, Digital Piano (is also my MIDI) and a couple various bits of gear. eg - I use a bass head for bass signals(which may change soon) This is something that will come with me from house to house, so I don't mind spending the extra for such an upgrade, so long as it's reasonable.

This all is less for power outages than it is for isolating my studio components power. Still, a hard power off can leave one with a bit of a mess to cycle through to get back in working order. We do get power surges and blips and such, but nothing major. (knock on wood) This is more about it's inherent protection from the rest of the house and it's reduction in ground interference.

I found this article https://www.rane.com/note151.html yesterday, written about all of the various grounding strategies inside the gear we use, along wiht the resulting issues we face because of this. It's written for the folks who design and make our gear more than it was for us, but it was interesting to see the issues at hand. It didn't offer an solutions for our link in the chain. I didn't read all of it. It's big. I don't even know how much of it is right or wrong.