Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2003, 11:04 PM

Default Re: So tell me about 8-meg HDD buffers!!

Quote:
Originally posted my Mark Staples:

I then have the recording drive in a removable IDE drive tray.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What brand/model drive tray do you use/reccomend? Are they all compatible with ATA 133 7200rpm drives?
Old 01-26-2003, 12:26 AM

Way cool, Doug-

The current system drive I'm going to be replacing is a nearly 2-year old Quantum Fireball which has been a good drive-

BUT lately, especially when launching PT 5.3.1, it has been making more and more head-clatter ...until now it sounds a bit like grinding whole hazelnuts in a coffee grinder when opening ProTools 5.3.1, (not as loud, of course).

Normal boot-ups are sortof 'crunchy' sounding, and not too alarming, but the PT startup is almost scary. There is this rattle overtone (like when a piece of trim is loose in an airplane during takeoff) that for some reason opening PT instigates, (in the first two seconds after hitting the PT shortcut it makes the drive go, "Guhhhhhhhhhh" and I'm thinking, um hmm, this is not gonna see 2004...
Old 01-27-2003, 06:12 PM

I'd like to know, too... this is an option I'd thought about several times but haven't moved on it out of just being tired of buying the 'crappy one that nobody uses'and having it wind up in the cabinet along with the other useless upgrade hardware [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2003, 03:47 AM

I'm using a brand called Mobile Rack. The one I have is for IDE ATA100, but they have various models (i.e. ATA133).

Mobile Rack - IDE

Make sure that you get one with an aluminum frame, not the cheap plastic. They SAY it's hot swappable, but I wouldn't risk it with IDE. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Also, get the one with the key lock.

They also have SCSI models as well.

I wish I could say that this was an epiphany that I came up with, but it was through a friend of mine (who is an engineer somewhere else). I was expressing to him the dilemma of tracking multiple artists/bands and not wanting to put their projects on the same drives. This is what they do, but they take it a step further and have the client buy their own drive (or make it a part of the fee) and then when the project is complete, they give them the drive (sessions and all).

Hope this is a helpful for you.

Mark
Old 01-28-2003, 08:19 PM

If you guys are interested in some very well proven and high reliability removeable drive bays, go to Startech.com. Go to "Drive parts" and look for part number IDE66PRODRWR. Don't let the part number fool you, they work for ATA100/133 as well. These are great aluminum drive bays with dual fans that are very very quiet (can't even hear them)! I have managed huge networks in past years and nothing ever beat them. All my home systems have them installed also =). Also, the retail prices listed on startech's site do not reflect the going price (by as much as 50%). However, you can navigate to startech's "where to buy" link and select one of thier resellers. Select a dealer and you will then be taken to the dealer site and the actual sale price will be available.

Cool stuff...
Old 01-29-2003, 12:56 AM

Very helpful! Thanks a lot, Mark. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]