Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-20-2021, 02:09 PM

Default No sound (sort of) from XPand!2

I am trying to setup a track to use Expand!2 drum loops. I am missing a key element or two on the setup.

I have been able to set up an instrument track for a guitar then create bass guitar track via the "Copy audio as midi" feature. That worked only when the keyboard as the midi controller was hooked up and the track enabled.

This time i would like set up a drum loop that just plays. I have an instrument track, insert A is Expand!2, with a drum loop selected. Track enabled and ... nothing.

I would be very grateful for a link to an article that explains to a clueless newbie how to set this up.

Especially nice if I can add the drum loops without having the keyboard turned on. That is, an "on board" midi controller, I guess.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:36 PM

Default Re: No sound (sort of) from Expand!2

You can use the pencil tool to draw in the MIDI note that plays the loop. Find which note triggers the loop and then draw out the note for as long as you want the loop to play.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-20-2021, 02:41 PM

You deliberately want to bring guitar/bass in as MIDI? Normally guitar and bass use audio not instrument tracks.

Start by looking at YouTube for videos about basic stuff you want to do, wether tracking guitar or bass, using amp sim plugins, or working with VIs. You can learn about editing MIDI notes on the screen by just playing with the simplest Mini Grand VI.... there will be lots of tutorials showing that.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
You can use the pencil tool to draw in the MIDI note that plays the loop. Find which note triggers the loop and then draw out the note for as long as you want the loop to play.
Thanks. I get that. I am not really editing with midi at this point.
I am trying to introduce a drum loop use as the basis of a new tune.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You deliberately want to bring guitar/bass in as MIDI? Normally guitar and bass use audio not instrument tracks.

Start by looking at YouTube for videos about basic stuff you want to do, wether tracking guitar or bass, using amp sim plugins, or working with VIs. You can learn about editing MIDI notes on the screen by just playing with the simplest Mini Grand VI.... there will be lots of tutorials showing that.
The bass guitar example was just to indicate I have had some success getting midi to play. What i am trying to do is add a drum loop to use in a creative writing exercise.

Here is what I tried, that doesn't result in hearing ( or recording ) the drum loop.

1. Add a track. type?
2. Add Expand!2 to insert A
3. Open Expand!2 and set the drum loop from the list
4. Enable the track
5. Press play and hear the loop.

I have overlooked or missed something essential.

The videos I watched have this working and typically begin at that point.
I need to get to that point.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
OOHhh! Duh.

I read both replies here again, watched another video, and I think I get it now.

As someone once said "it was so simple it plumb evaded me." What changed? My head. I simply followed the directions here and in the video. Pressing a key on the keyboard is not so bad.

Thank you both for posting.