Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Default Trying to view playback engine stops Pro Tools First

Hello,
I am relatively new to Pro Tools First. I started with version 12.8.1 on my Windows 10 system; I utilize a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 as an audio interface for my electric guitars and a digital piano. Applicable drivers were downloaded from Focusrite.

To get my Yeti USB microphone to function with Pro Tools First I downloaded and configured ASIO4ALL. I was able to record with this mic into Pro Tools.

What is currently broken is: Selecting main menu item Setup -> Playback Engine. Whenever this is attempted, a dialog box displays stating "Pro Tools Application has stopped working." The software then closes.

I did upgrade to Pro Tools First 12.8.2 and while pressing "N" on start-up, was able to see the Playback Engine dialog box, but only 1 time, enabling me to switch drivers. Unfortunately pressing "N" now does not let me get to that dialog box. Could this be a corrupted configuration issue? I am not certain how to progress at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM

Wink Re: Trying to view playback engine stops Pro Tools First

You can try deleting your preferences:

Go to C:Users > *Your User Name* > AppData > Roaming > Avid and delete the Pro Tools folder.

AppData is a hidden folder, so you may just want to enter it in file explorer.

ASIO4ALL is great for getting things up and running, but is not the best solution for a solid, working system. I'm sure you want to use your Yeti, but you would most likely get better performance and system stability using a mic plugged into your Focusrite interface.

System Details
Old 11-08-2017, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Trying to view playback engine stops Pro Tools First

Thank you for sharing your insights Will.

I did find a workaround to consistently display Playback Engine dialog box that was so ridiculous I thought it worthy of mention: open a DOS window before invoking Pro Tools First. Invoke Pro Tools First, then press and hold the "n" key. In the middle of the Pro Tools initialization, the computer focus will suddenly shift back to the DOS window and "n's" will start to print in the DOS window. Close the DOS window; when Pro Tools finishes its initialization process, the Playback Engine will display. Can't make this up.