Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2017, 09:47 PM

Default Re: S3 and Sigma - Any users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphie View Post
The 16ch was the old way of working, now u use the sigma delta plugin, which you can control via eucon (pan, fader, mute, mono toggle, solo, out a/b)
I think it works great that way.
Does this plug-in just go on an available track somewhere in the session? Is it easy to get the S3 to quickly map to that plug-in for quick access to levels for the inputs?

I just finished watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmOX-eK3ME0. At 6:12, it shows how he has it mapped to a Nucleus so that he can hit a button and quickly access the 16 channels levels in Sigma. If it can be equally accessible like that for the S3, I would be sold. But I have a feeling, you would have to find the plug-in, switch to control the plug-in and then flip to be on faders which would take way too long if all of a sudden a channel was too loud.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio

Last edited by Dizzi45Z; 11-01-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:30 PM

You can do the same with sigma plugin and 2 artists.
Not sure how the S3 works in Mackiecontrol mode
Old 11-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Are you talking about a Hearback unit? The reason I wouldn't use one of those is because I don't think they sound that great for use in the control room. Plus, many of the ones I have (I have 7 of them) crackle when you turn the master volume. I would like something higher end for monitoring for the center piece of the studio. But all monitoring systems I have seen that are not summing boxes don't give the option of mixing together 8 inputs for the speakers.

I'm also considering using an SSL X-Desk as a small format mixer to go along with the S3. I like that there would always be hardware faders to reach up and grab for the mix in the control room.
So, you're mixing/monitoring using the same stem outputs that you use to feed the cue system? Interesting way to work. And I can see why you wouldn't want to use the Hearback.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
So, you're mixing/monitoring using the same stem outputs that you use to feed the cue system? Interesting way to work. And I can see why you wouldn't want to use the Hearback.
Yes. That is how I have been working and it has been working great.

However, I just had a conversation with Jacob at Vintage King (totally cool for him to spend the time to explain) and he enlightened me on a much better way to do this within Pro Tools. So maybe I don't need a Sigma after all.

Instead, I will use sends (Pre Fader) to get the outputs for the Hearback system and use a different main output for me in the control room and then I could use the monitor control section on the S3.

The only hole in the picture for me is how to integrate a talkback system with everything. I saw that there is a foot control on the S3 and I'm curious if there is a way to integrate talkback with the S3.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-02-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Instead, I will use sends (Pre Fader) to get the outputs for the Hearback system and use a different main output for me in the control room and then I could use the monitor control section on the S3.
I use Avioms at several studios and this is how I've been doing it for years.

Talkback is handled by the Monitor Controller of the control surface or console. Not sure about the S3 sorry.

You could simply plug a mic in and mute/unmute as needed from the S3. And if you make the feeds to the Hearback post fader, your mute/unmute will also mute/unmute all cue feeds. Or use Muteomatic

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.