Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Question High pitched noise while recording

I just started recording using a Roland Fantom X7 with my MBOX. I use Monstor keyboard cables so I think the cables are not an issue. I get a high pitched noise while I record & it in fact comes through when I play it back. Has anyone run into this ot have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Re: High pitched noise while recording

What power supply are you using?

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQa79pWC0OQ
Old 07-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Tom wrote this

Have you read this, from the general troubleshooting thread?

If you're experiencing noise from the Mbox II, there are several things to try:

- Make sure you're using balanced cables on all balanced inputs and outputs. Remember that the Mbox 2 outputs are unbalanced, and should use unbalanced connections.
- Try using a power conditioner for all your electronic gear (Furman, Monster).
- Run your outputs directly to shielded monitors and not through a mixer to see if the noise goes away.
- Some noise complaints arise from noisy power supply units inside computers - try installing and running on another computer (or if you're using a laptop, unplug the power supply and run off of batteries to see if noise goes away). Moving the Mbox II in relation to your monitor, computer or speakers may also lessen the noise.
- Unplug and turn off all unnecessary gear and run only the computer, the Mbox II, and monitors.
- Listen through headphones to determine if the noise is isolated to a particular output.
- Make sure you're not running through a USB hub or other device - the Mbox II always needs to be plugged directly into the computer.
- Try all USB ports on the computer to see if the noise lessens.
- Trace your cable path for long cable runs, and isolate your cables from possible interference (other gear, florescent lighting, CRT monitors, etc).
Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the responses. Turns out that I was using unbalanced cables from my keyboard to the MBOX 2. Replacing them with balanced cables got rid of the noise.

Bob