Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 PM

Default lacie rugged drive for stereo recordings

i for sure know that the lacie rugged bus-powered drives are only 5400 rpm and thus not "approved" drives for real pro tools tracking. so please don't give me too much grief for asking this.....

but does anything think it could be suitable for simple stereo recordings on a macbook pro using an Mbox2?

would be so nice to not have to plug it into the wall for some quick stereo recordings

wondering if anyone has gotten good mileage out of these drives for the fun of it with low track counts in PT LE

thank you
PT Ultimate
Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 PM

Default Re: lacie rugged drive for stereo recordings

For simple stereo recording, it SHOULD work okay (on firewire and not USB)or you could also try the internal drive(again, just for simple stereo stuff) even though its not approved(it works for me).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-13-2008, 12:33 PM

I used a Lacie rugged drive for quite a while for stereo recordings. Under most circumstances, it works great. I can tell you for certain that it's fast enough via firewire 800 to handle at least 5 tracks at 96k for a few hours (that's the farthest I ever pushed that drive). BUT there are some issues to watch out for. If you're using an MBox Pro, it's very easy to run out of power on your firewire port, which causes problems. Also, while it's a great portable drive, it's not invincible. Mine worked great for about 6 months, even though it was used and abused, etc. But, one day when I was burning a master off the drive, it crapped out on me. Fortunately, the drive itself was fine, but the casing itself was totaled. So, it's great as a portable drive, and I'd certainly recommend it for transporting sessions, but you're probably better off getting a bigger, non-bus powered drive for the same or less money.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:22 PM

Check out the OWC on the go drive. It's bus powered 2.4" enclosure, has two firewire 400 ports so you can chain and you can load it with any drive of your choice including a 7200rpm, probably still cheaper than the lacie.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2008, 07:08 PM

Until recently, I've been nearly the sole voice of discontent toward the Lacie brand name in the whole city of Nashville. Especially if these drives are mobile or swapped in and out a lot, the boxes (or firewire bridge) goes bad. In fairness, these are the regular Lacie drives, not the bus-powered models. Nevertheless, I've personally dealt with quite few of them going bad since they've been very prevalent in the studios here; probably due to a popular local supplier pushing them. For a long time many simply accused me of bad luck. However, in the last few months, remembering that I had been through it, many of those same users have called me in a panic because their Lacie drives won't mount. In every case, taking the drive out of the case and placing it in another corrected the problem with no data loss.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:40 PM

hey thanks! exactly the response I was looking for was someone who actually used it in this way.....crazy nothing, huh?

so what exactly happened to the casing?

I'm really curious?

and it was still covered under 1yr manufacturers warranty, right?
PT Ultimate