Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 05-06-2010, 07:22 AM

Default Eleven Rack - Can MIDI CC be used to select rig input

Hi there

I just picked up an Eleven Rack. I'm loving it so far but there's one thing I've been trying to do but haven't yet figured out how to.

I have a VG-99 that I would like to use in tandem with the 11R. I really like the True-Z input, and would rather plug my guitar straight into the 11R. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a MIDI CC message to change the rig input settings. That way, I can use my MIDI controller to switch between real guitar -> True-Z input and VG-99 -> Line level input on back. This would also allow me to use the VG-99 synths (outputting in stereo) if I wanted to, which would be a real bonus

I wasn't able to find any such mapping in the MIDI reference chart though

A workaround I've tried (with suboptimal results) is to connect the VG-99 into the effects loop, placing the loop before the amp modelling block. This way, the output of the VG-99 goes to the amp modelling block, which in theory should do the same thing. This seems to bypass the noise gate though, or at least, it introduces a significant level of hiss, which I find rather odd...

If Sean or Chris (or anybody else!) could chime in with some suggestions/solutions, that would be particularly awesome :)

Oh yeah. And thanks for making a great product.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack - Can MIDI CC be used to select rig input

Well, I got the FX loop part of the equation working :) Looks like I had to turn up the noise gate. Time for me to get better cables! Although, I'd still like to be able to do this via a CC command and the Rig input function as that would mean that my FX loop would be free for something else in the future :)

EDIT: I just noticed, I can't seem to find anywhere whether the FX loop return is balanced or unbalanced. If it's balanced that I will get some XLR -> TRS cables to hook up the VG99 which should sort out the noise issues. Otherwise I may have to live with it... any information would be greatly appreciated :)
Old 05-06-2010, 04:05 PM

The loop is indeed balanced, so you can use TRS cables.

I don't believe that the Input value has an externally addressable CC number, unfortunately. I don't see it in the tables, anyway. If it is possible I'm sure Chris or one of the other guys will chime in.

Hope that helps,

S..

Scofield...
Old 05-07-2010, 04:43 AM

Okay, I got all my cables sorted out, and by using the FX return level and the mix control, I've been able to get the VG99 and Eleven Rack playing nice with each other. I no longer need to know if MIDI CC can be used to select rig input.

Thanks for replying Sean :)
Old 05-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Bummer, I was looking to purchase one of these for live gigging. I wanted to be able to run my acoustic through the mic or line input and the electric through the True-Z input.
I then hoped to be able to use my FCB1010 to change between acoustic rigs and electric rigs, having each rig setting mute the appropiate inputs.
I downloaded and read the manual but it was a bit unclear about whether the input settings were global, or assignable as part of a patch (or rig).
It appears the 11R inputs can't be set up per midi assigned patch.
Again I say, bummer!
Old 05-08-2010, 10:51 PM

Hi Olias,

I was in a similar situation because I wanted to use my VG99 together with the ElevenRack, switching between the True-Z input and the VG99. A workaround that I have been using is to connect the VG99 into the FX Loop, and using the appropriate placement of the FX loop (before amp/after amp), I can switch between true-Z input, VG99 guitar before amp, VG99 fully processed without amp.

There's no direct fix (i.e. using CC to change inputs on the fly) but the FX loop is a viable workaround. If you need more info, let me know, I'd be happy to share
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 PM

Interesting, let me see if I get this right. You can set up a midi assignable patch (let's call it patch A) that uses the True-Z input and ignores the effects send/return. And you create a midi assignable patch (call it patch B) that mutes the True-Z input but enables the effects send/return?

Can patch B be placed at/near the beginning of the effects chain so that I can apply chorus and/or delay before it hits the amp modeling?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:07 PM

That's about half right

To put it precisely

Guitar -> Eleven Rack True-Z
VG99 ->Eleven Rack FX return
(note: I do not use the FX send at all)

Patch A for guitar has the FX loop off. This is a pure guitar -> Eleven Rack sound

Patch B for the VG-99 has the FX loop on, with the mix set to 100% wet. You can position the loop at several positions within the chain, the 2 that I use are after the True-Z but before everything else (the first available slot), and after the cabinet block (the first stereo input).

Setting the loop to 100% wet means that only the input from the FX loop gets passed on down from the FX block. By placing it as the first block in the chain, I can use the guitar modelling -> amp block. The FX return level can be set to get the input close to the level of my guitar input into the True-Z. This functions like an A/B switch between the True-Z and the VG99 guitar modelling.

Placing the loops after the cab block allows me to feed the fully processed VG-99 tones into the reverb (or bypass it), sort of like an A/B switch between the ElevenRack output and the VG99 output. An extension of this idea is to set the loop mix level below 100%. This blends the guitar->ElevenRack output with the VG-99 output. Would be useful for blending guitar + vocals through the FX loop, or if you had 2 guitar inputs (e.g. magnetic and piezo).
Old 05-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It sounds like your approach would work for my situation also. But it does bug me that I can't dynamically switch between the "real" inputs on the 11R.
However, I've looked at a lot of devices and this appears to be the closest to doing that.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM

I'll play devil's advocate and point out that there IS a device that can do that...

The Pod X3 live has an XLR and a 1/4" input, and because it has 2 discrete channels, you can blend between them or create patches that use one or the other

Of course, the tones are completely different and the X3 live isn't as robust a recording interface or come with Pro Tools LE...

Personally I picked the 11R, but if you have very specific needs you might want to consider what the X3 Live can do for you