Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-06-2005, 04:46 PM

Default OT: Abbey Road related

Here's a company that's building pre-amps based on the v72s's that were used in the REDD consoles at Abbey Road in the fifties and sixties, and the guy who builds them posted some answers to questions on this board.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: OT: Abbey Road related

Highly unlikely to actually sound like the real thing. They had some clever guys at Shabby Road. In the same way that the Joe Meek stuff will not make you sound like Joe Meek. You cannot copy the genius these guys had when operating. Better to try & invent your own "genius" sound. Those days are gone (much to my own frustration) & top end modern gear is just as good if not better anywho. All you got to do is use them how YOU want, not necessarily how you should. Well that's what I think.
All the best with it anyway
Cutsville
Old 03-07-2005, 06:20 AM

be that as it may it appears that Oliver has birthed some great sounding stuff -basing this strictly on what i've read a few respected folks say. It's piqued my interest, not because of any quixotic notion of recapturing the magic of yore, but because it offers a very distinct flavor apart from the usual fare. Any owners care to chime in and enlighten us?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:11 AM

A friend of mine got one a few weeks ago - it sounds good with an 'aggressive' sound if that makes sense, maybe on par with a Brent Averill API, but when A-B'ing it we both thought his Avalon sounded warmer and fuller on most sources. It's definitely still a good pre though, and will come in handy - I'd imagine reaching for it for electric guitars, snare, toms or overheads, maybe rock n' roll piano....