Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-16-2017, 06:58 AM

Default Re: AAE error -9173 stronger than ever on PT 12.5

As other already stated here, from my part, I have found a PLAN B SOLUTION :

PT is playback smoothly, without any spikes at all, when ALL THE PROTOOLS WINDOWS are reduced. I've looked at the CPU usage and the spikes are gone.
I can EQ like that with the EQ window really easily.

So it doesn't seem to be related to any third party plugins to me. It seems to be a graphical problems !!!

Perhaps if we reduce a bit the amount of informations in PT edit windows (since the mix windows is slightly less buggy) it'll help ?

Anyway, I'm pretty happy to discovered this, since it's the first time that I've found something that looks like a potential solution for printing my tracks without any hassle.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Re: The ole 9173 error stronger than ever on PT 12.5

Turning my wifi off just worked for me! Thanks, guys!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Default Re: The ole 9173 error stronger than ever on PT 12.5

If you're on Windows, see if there is anything in this thread - especially about the graphic card drivers - that might help.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 AM

I'm on Mac unfortunately :s
Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilla View Post
...To me it doesn't seems to be linked with plugins.
I have got a session, running QUITE smoothly, and the session is pretty heavy in tracks and processing but not so much aux and busses (basic punk rock music so not too much stuff going on).

Next to that I've got another session that started to getting buggy really quickly. And on this session I've got a lot of busses (like creative delays stuff and so on). But the session started to bug BEFORE I even put the delay plugins, just creating the Aux seems to be enough to make it lag.

Even more noticeable : All my sessions start to bugs when I create a Mixbus Aux track and send this track via buss to a stereo audio track for printing.
Guilla, this is exactly my experience as well. I am very interested to know if you've made any headway on it yet.
Btw - I'm a Windows 10 user.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:42 PM

I just tried something out and the results were quite illuminating:

I opened up a complete mix session, one rife with 9173 errors throughout (it was a beast to finish btw).

On it I have several bus layers, including those for instrument groups and separate mix and master busses, funneling to an audio print track.

Without removing any plugins or tracks of any kind, I started simply removing any pathways to the Monitor Out one level at a time, starting with the print tack.

No reduction in errors.

Then the master buss.

SIGNIFICANT reduction in errors.

Then the mix buss.

NO ERRORS AT ALL.

Mind you all the plugs are sill engaged and cooking - just the number of bus layers are being reduced.

So at that point I decided to fire up a whole bunch of extra plugs to see how far I could take the CPU before getting 9173's again. The answer is somewhere between 85-95% - and THAT number sounds closer to right. (it's been crapping out at @ 65% for me otherwise)

Also - to make sure this wasn't just due to the lack of audio being passed through the now "unused" busses, I went ahead and picked out a few tracks and routed them to the disconnected busses directly. Results stayed the same.

Checked it with both the normal and dynamic plugin processing engine. Results stayed the same.

Anyone here try this already?
As a reminder, I am on a Windows 10 system, so I don't know if this would be relevant to you Mac guys or not, but I am curious.

Last edited by wonder6oy; 09-30-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:06 PM

So check it out:

I can totally reproduce this error on my system with NO audio and NO 3rd party plugs. Just Dverb and Signal Generator with a (heavily) multilayered bus structure.

Here's the session...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0aeqllulq...0test.zip?dl=0

My CPU usage has to be at least 65% to see the magic happen, so if you want to try it for yourself and have a monster system, just pile 'em on till you get a dropout.

Curious to see if anyone else has the same results.

And please MUTE YOUR VOLUME. It shouldn't blow anybody's speakers out, but it potentially could!
Old 09-30-2017, 10:38 PM

With a session with DVERB blowing CPU your first response should be to check for denormalization problems. Start throwing dither plugins in front of DVERB. This has been posted about many (thousands?) of times on DUC before. You should search and find past explanations of what denormalization is. Unclear why Avid does not bother to mitigate this in the plugins that suffer from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
With a session with DVERB blowing CPU your first response should be to check for denormalization problems. Start throwing dither plugins in front of DVERB. This has been posted about many (thousands?) of times on DUC before. You should search and find past explanations of what denormalization is. Unclear why Avid does not bother to mitigate this in the plugins that suffer from it.

Hey Darryl,

Which other plugins have you found to be sensitive to denormalization?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:21 PM

Default AAE error -9173 stronger than ever on PT 12.5

Do you know how I can tell you have not spent time searching for your answer before posting this question?

The classic denormalization plugin is Sansamp, followed by DVERB.

But for all the plugins out there... who knows, if you see this behavior you start looking for it with Avid or third party plugins.