Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-09-2013, 01:11 AM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...s-concern.html

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 04-09-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
It's a matter of perspective and wither you prefer the all gold shiny but not gold, to a stable experience.
I would LOVE stable. We have hung on through thick and thin with an incredibly buggy and crash-prone Protools 10, just biding our time for 11 to come out that would provide stability of the days of old. Protools 10 is anything BUT stable. Let's hope, as you say, that Avid can deliver on making 10 stable for anyone who (circumstantially) chooses to or are restricted (by hardware) to stay with 10 as their primary or only software. (that shoud elegantly cover all bases )
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Unlimited sure, but in the end the horse power of the computer limits their total number of tracks. add more VI's and boom their tracks count goes down, heavy plugs again their track counts goes down. On the other hand for a small studio having a limited number of tracks assures them that it will be going. And that for HDX even the limited amount of track in there is to ensure that hey throw at us the plugs you want, and now the VI's we're still going to give you the same performance. While the others might be tooting their artificial unlimited track count. It's a matter of perspective and wither you prefer the all gold shiny but not gold, to a stable experience.
Let's not get into this on this thread - plenty of others for that (and the meme that no other DAWs are stable while PT is). The point is that even between versions of PT there are big differences in track counts, and yet the headline figure for non-hardware PT11 is now very limited. It's not an attractive proposition for new customers, let alone this problem for existing ones.

(nb - one other thing I just saw in the Webinar - iLok v1 is no longer supported, so add another $50 on to the CPTK tax).
Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbieoz View Post
You're still looking at it in your personal scope of view. And you would have me look at it from the view of a donor to Avid? No, by all means take my hard-earned cash and then leave me out in the cold. GREAT business acumen.

Not the point. Are you saying that manufacturers are going to continue developing and supporting RTAS plugins which will be needed if we are to continue to work with PT10 and see 10 as our end-of-life with Avid, and that Avid will continue to support RTAS in PT10 for X years to come?
As the 14 years old format dies, no. Well maybe that's premature. Some company may still release RTAS plugs if allowed to by Avid, for those people staying at PT 10 and under. Not every one will upgrade, so there's still the possibility for them to make money out of it. And yes the age has a considerable point to it. Every company out there has a life span planned for their products, and they work on either new product to replace them or retire the old one. It's nothing magical and new there. RTAS was old, very old extremely old and limited in so many fashion. Why wouldn't a company jump on a better format when they can?

Same goes for TDM, with Waves and digico launching the digigrid they hope to keep the TDM market alive, tooting that they will open their platform for other companies to keep making plugin for them. In essence those are actually native plugins since they don't run on a dedicated dsp Motorola chip. That's an other stories, but just to show that even though Avid is dropping TDM or RTAS, it's not eradicated yet, and it may take some time until the full market leaves those two mummies of format completely out.

There's still people using pro tools 7.4 even today, someone posted on the forum they were still using it (monday) yesterday morning.

Quote:
You might like to read the previous post of mine a little more carefully. New equipment, sold as new by Avid, with understanding of longevity of product and usefulness, however when the software to RUN that hardware finally catches up with the rest of the world as was expected three years ago when the hardware was purchased, the NEW hardware is actually NOT supported. Maybe best we leave that conversation for more legally oriented people as I can sense a minefield which needs to be looked at carefully. And I need to find out more about buy-back deals from Avid before I go down that path.
Read back the Pro tools 10 FAQ, and other threads on this forum, it clearly states that even the new purchases of TDM gear that was prior to the lunch of HDX will be supported to up to 5 years, with parts repairs and bug fixes. There's a legal different in the term of supported and development. The product may be out of production and out of development but it can still be supported through costumer care and repairs.

A 2011 Porsche is sold as new up until the very minute the Porsche 2012 is on the market and in the garage. How's that different? The aging old unimproved Mac Pro are still sold on Apples website, even though the rumors of the new one coming in just a few months ago. Is that any different?

Quote:
Yeah, ok, if you want to look at it really superficially. I already have three copies of HD10 thanks.

Anyway - it's likely clear to all where we both stand, you on behalf of Avid and me on behalf of a purchaser who has spent loads with Avid over the years and simply can't commit the many thousands of dollars to keep up with a company that needs to suck as much money out of their user base to keep afloat until the next company buys Protools from Avid. Sorry if that sounds sarcastic, it truly is not intended to be, the tone is much more one of resignation at the moment.
time will tell, thanks for engaging Emcha. All the best.
I don't see it as sarcastic no worries, and even if you might not see it I do understand your point of view. I'm simply more pragmatic I guess. It always suck to have to fork out money for anything, and in this case I don't see it as being a waste of money, but I also understand why it is that way as a user, badge aside it has nothing to do with our talk, which I enjoyed .

Wave-T.com
Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Let's not get into this on this thread - plenty of others for that (and the meme that no other DAWs are stable while PT is). The point is that even between versions of PT there are big differences in track counts, and yet the headline figure for non-hardware PT11 is now very limited. It's not an attractive proposition for new customers, let alone this problem for existing ones.

(nb - one other thing I just saw in the Webinar - iLok v1 is no longer supported, so add another $50 on to the CPTK tax).

You brought it up though

The reason why track count has gone up with Vanilla PT is pretty simple, computer power has gone up and it allowed for it, while still looking into offering a stable (well as much as can be) experience, while at the same time looking to promote the HD lines.

In anycase, for an other thread maybe!

I have to dig it up somewhere, but it's a question we actually asked, and from memory the paraphrasing answer we got was that it's a move to the new ilok that a few of the other plugin companies had already started to make. So to keep things simple Avid is moving to this one also.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
You brought it up though
I think you got me confused with noiseboyuk? Maybe?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 AM

I simply want to state that I too am really unhappy with the decision by Avid to discontinue the CPTK and especially with the upgrade price to PT11 HD. I could accept a reasonable upgrade fee from PT10+CPTK to PT11 HD, but 999$ certainly seem unreasonable.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Who's the dealer? I'm sure, that's wrong. This is less, than HD10 to HD11.
http://www.protoolshdx.de/Dokumente/FAQ.html

Quote:
Q: Mit Pro Tools 11 fällt das Complete Production Toolkit weg - was jetzt ?
A: Wer weiterhin auf Pro Tools 10 arbeitet bleibt hiervon unberührt. Wer seine Pro Tools 10 Lizenz für 239.- EUR auf 11 upgradet und eine CPTK Lizenz besitzt, der bekommt einfach eine Pro Tools HD 11 Lizenz - fertig.
The dedicated PTHDX/PT10/11 site hosted by SMM in Munich. One of the oldest PT dealers in Germany. Usually they know what they are talking about.

Is there ANY official AVID page with the PT10+CPTK to 11HD price? So far I've only seen rumors and the 999$ PT10 to 11HD price.
So where did the info about 999$ for 10+CPTK to 11HD come from?

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 04-09-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I would LOVE stable. We have hung on through thick and thin with an incredibly buggy and crash-prone Protools 10, just biding our time for 11 to come out that would provide stability of the days of old. Protools 10 is anything BUT stable. Let's hope, as you say, that Avid can deliver on making 10 stable for anyone who (circumstantially) chooses to or are restricted (by hardware) to stay with 10 as their primary or only software. (that shoud elegantly cover all bases )
Personally I've found 10 more stable than 9 and 8 combined. But that is my personal experience, others has had a different and I suspect it's not just software wise but a lot to do with the actual computer specs. Number of threads blasting pt 10 instability while trying to run it on a laptop or PC that wasn't qualified (actual specs wise, not just Avid qualified) was staggering. There were obviously some genuine bugs, but I found it less comparable to the other two releases.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-09-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I think you got me confused with noiseboyuk? Maybe?
Yeah lol

Wave-T.com