Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-18-2016, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Best workflow to match new cut of video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
You need to use a single track, video EDL, from V1, but the mental logic is not there with AEs.
For example, with a green screen interview, the backplate is on V1, while the talking head is on V2, you need to drop the talking head to V1, so timecode follows, the backplate does not carry viable code for an EDL.
There more to this, but, won't get into it.
This has to be done logically. Which no one has time to do anymore.
CMX3600 EDLs have a 999 event limit. Meaning my shows need to be split into 3 parts (sequences), before making an EDL for each part, thats more work an AE won't do.
I'd be interested to hear from Justin about this. As conleec said, since there will be "old" and "new" EDL's, it doesn't matter what was on that track, meaning, it may not NEED to be the talking head (in your example). I have worked on animated movies that did not have viable timecode for ANYTHING, and the EDL's worked perfectly.

By the way, I still work on TV and corporate pieces that are more like your "modern show".
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-18-2016, 08:15 PM

Ask your picture editor for a "flattened Vision EDL".

See this for details:- http://www.thecargocult.nz/images/flatEDL.png

This gives you all the active events on the vision timeline.

Also you can use a file32 format EDL instead of CMX3600. The file32 version will contain more info and the info fields are not as restricted in terms of the number of characters they can hold. So good for long vision clip names etc.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
By the way, I still work on TV and corporate pieces that are more like your "modern show".
Funny Tom!!!

Maybe Im not explaining correctly.
I am NOT using Conformalizer as Justin demos it. Im taking it beyond that.

The EDLs are not cut downs of the masters, where a few pull ups are done, they are cut downs of the original sequence.
Meaning they are still traced to "source TOD" time code.
The editor goes back into the finished long version sequence, and cuts it down.

So 50 backplates with a time code of 000.00.00.00 confuses the process.
These backplates need to be removed, and the talking head brought down to V1.

Conleec

Conformalizer can only use 1 V track in this case. Top down does not work.

It DOES matter what is on that track, as I stated to Tom, Conformalizer compares 2 EDLS, both referring to SOURCE. Conformalizer works as a "quickkeys macro" for my purposes.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:19 PM
Sounds In Sync

Note that if your AE isn't able to produce a single flattened EDL for a sequence EdiLoad can compare multiple vision layer EDLs. As in you can request an EDL for each vision layer of the old and new cut and EdiLoad will load these and compare events between layers. It will also remove events that should be ignored like ones that relate to back plates that have a source in TC of 00:00:00:00.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 11-22-2016, 01:21 AM
The Cargo Cult

OK, so there is some truth in the EDL difficulties expressed in this thread - but I'm sure most of the resistance is actually unfounded.

A top-down EDL is achieved with EDL manager using the V-ALL option instead of choosing a particular video track. It simply looks down from above, showing the uppermost clip at any time. Yes, they'll need to disable or delete overlay tracks like burn-ins etc - but this takes seconds.

The new Media Composer list tool has a similar mode (though the initial release did not).

Premiere does not have such a feature so they need to export 1 EDL for each relevant video track. However, Premiere does export FCP XML files and this is a simple 1 step process and, when it works, a more powerful option than EDL.
http://thecargocult.nz/manuals/lettertoed_premiere.pdf

Yes, Conformalizer can handle multiple EDLs per picture cut. No problem.

But... as I mentioned earlier, there's something about to drop which will change this landscape significantly.

Justin
Old 11-22-2016, 11:09 AM

JUSTIN!!!!
OMG!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN0K...ature=youtu.be

Mac 8 Core 6,1 -Os 10.12.6 - 64 gb Ram - Protools 12.8 HDX - 8x8x8+8 ch DA Card - DCommand ES24 - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 8.9.1 on 4 Core Mac Pro Dustbin with AJA Kona 3g) Soundminer 4.5 Pro
Protools 12.8.0 Vanilla in 2 x Edit suites one with S3 and one with Mackie Control.
Mediacomposer 8.9.1 on AJA Kona 3g x 3 suites
Old 11-22-2016, 05:05 PM

I am SO looking forward to tomorrow when I will try this new feature!

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.12 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl 18.3.0 · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 8C16T @2.4GHz · 16GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free
Old 11-27-2016, 07:36 PM

I haven't been able to get an EDL for changes on a TV project for several years, in fact I can't even get simple change notes. When I ask I get a blank stare or am just told no, so I do it by hand.

A pretty standard workflow for manual conforms is to import the new picture and guide track into the un-conformed session. The new picture must be imported to a new picture track and the sync for the 2 pop or the first frame of picture must be the same as the old picture. Then create an edit group that includes all the old session tracks plus the old picture. The new picture and guide track must not be included in the edit group. Play the session against the new picture and when it goes out of sync determine where and how much, either by comparing the locations of picture cuts in the old and new picture or by comparing where the old sound occurs relative to the new guide track. Then enter shuffle mode and either delete the grouped audio and old picture or insert silence to compensate for the difference in sync. If a section of picture moves to a new location, cut the section in shuffle mode and paste it in its new location. You can temporarily paste it at the end of the session if you need to do other changes prior to placing the cut section where I need it. If the conform has been done correctly the cuts in the old picture will match the new picture and the session audio will be in phase with the new guide track.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
I haven't been able to get an EDL for changes on a TV project for several years, in fact I can't even get simple change notes. When I ask I get a blank stare or am just told no, so I do it by hand.

A pretty standard workflow for manual conforms is to import the new picture and guide track into the un-conformed session. The new picture must be imported to a new picture track and the sync for the 2 pop or the first frame of picture must be the same as the old picture. Then create an edit group that includes all the old session tracks plus the old picture. The new picture and guide track must not be included in the edit group. Play the session against the new picture and when it goes out of sync determine where and how much, either by comparing the locations of picture cuts in the old and new picture or by comparing where the old sound occurs relative to the new guide track. Then enter shuffle mode and either delete the grouped audio and old picture or insert silence to compensate for the difference in sync. If a section of picture moves to a new location, cut the section in shuffle mode and paste it in its new location. You can temporarily paste it at the end of the session if you need to do other changes prior to placing the cut section where I need it. If the conform has been done correctly the cuts in the old picture will match the new picture and the session audio will be in phase with the new guide track.

Im not alone!!!

I use the new picture with a new editors mix down, send the mix down to the center channel.

The new AAF is below, tracks disabled, that also shows a visual of the clips.

Anyone using shuffle mode should be aware to "separate" all tracks before deleting the area in question.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Im not alone!!!

I use the new picture with a new editors mix down, send the mix down to the center channel.

The new AAF is below, tracks disabled, that also shows a visual of the clips.

Anyone using shuffle mode should be aware to "separate" all tracks before deleting the area in question.

No need to do hand conform anymore with Conformalizer 4.1's powerful video compare. Awesome. Just saved my *** today!!