Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-1999, 12:25 AM

Default VIDEO

Just watched the 001 video---bravo, braaavvo. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this system. I don't think there's anything that can touch this product anywhere near the price.

[This message has been edited by rwest (edited 10-31-99).]
Old 11-01-1999, 06:58 AM

Default Re: VIDEO

Well, except for the motu stuff, which is pretty comparable, similar pricing, and much more flexible. And if you need timecode at all, the 001 is a joke. The biggest reason to get the 001 is to run protools...but digi botched that, it doesn't.

Mike
Old 11-01-1999, 10:34 AM

Geez, this is getting real old. Yes, we all understand the *massive* unhappiness over timecode. As I understand it, the 001 syncs but doesn't show a TC ruler or grid. Not a big deal for those of us who want a home studio that offers a lot of the bells and whistles we get at the pro studios. We 're just looking for a way to write and create that doesn't require a second mortgage. From the looks of it, this does that in spades.

I'm sure Digi's getting your message and these types of forums are great for giving mfrs input (being a senior tech for a company that provides digital prepress systems). OTOH this "Digi sux, I hate Digi" rant is counterproductive for you, the professional that sees a product that would be useful with TC enabled, and me, a home studio guy looking for info.

KDH
Old 11-01-1999, 02:45 PM

"Digi sux"? "I hate digi"? Read my post again, where did I say that?

I fail to see what's so "counterproductive" about pointing out a particular flaw in a particular product. Providing info to a "home studio guy" looking for it, exactly what you want. I'm sorry if you're tired of hearing this complaint over and over, but the only reason it is dragging on is because digi hasn't addressed it - we have never gotten a straight answer on why this feature was eliminated, and whether there is any chance of it being added back in. Digi doesn't even mention timecode at all anywhere at the 001 website! If digi is so sure that people won't miss TC, why can't they have the balls to tell the public that in any of their literature?

I'm merely responding to the assertion that "I don't think there's anything that can touch this product anywhere near the price." The 001 costs a little less than the motu gear, and it does a little less. I guess that's enough for you, but it's not enough for me and many other people.

Mike
Old 11-01-1999, 04:53 PM

Just one more of the "Masses" responding with support for ALL posts on this forum !!

If you (BigCats) don't like real info from real people using this gear then just stick to the Digi promo. and stay out of the forums !

kasper
Old 11-01-1999, 05:06 PM

I don't need TC and I'm sorry you guys are having a tough time with this. I guess you'll have to buy some other product. The only way to get what you want, is to buy something with the features you desire. I don't blame Digi for their decision. I would guess they are just opening their door to new (lower end) users. Soon as Apple gets this G4 mess worked out, I'll take the plunge.

[This message has been edited by rwest (edited 11-01-99).]
Old 11-01-1999, 08:21 PM

While I respect any opinions, on newsgroups
like this one, that are written with maturity,
I also have a point of saturation when it
comes to the complaints. Okay, we know there
is a group that has fallen through the cracks
of the Digi target plan. But I agree that
ultimately, the people have the power to vote
with their money. Let's all see what happens.
I personally think the 001 will take off and
rule the home studio market in a year. Now, if
you work in the post world, which I assume you
do if you DEFINITELY need t.c., then you
probably can budget for a full system. I've
worked in the post world for 10 years and I
know what can be billed. If you're a true
professional, you should have professional
equipment, not an AMIII or a Digi001. I stand
by Digi and an awesome product with an awesome
price. Just my humble opinions...don't kill me!
Old 11-01-1999, 11:59 PM

I for one wont "Kill" You !

I think most everyone here isn't going for a personal attack, just heated up that they are being shafted by Digi.

I can relate to almost all of what is said here. The point is let everyone have a say. If you don't want to hear the bitching from customers who feel they have been left out then don't read those posts. Simple.

The whole point is to indeed "Saturate" Digi and perhaps wake them up. Many of the people here, myself included, are just mystified with the latest turn of events. Does Digi really think this marketing strategy is going to work?

I own the "Pro" gear. I have a TDM system in the studio and I also do a lot of work at home on an AMIII system. I don't know what You charge for rates but I have to see a lot more profit before I can shell out another $13,000 just so I can have Time Code and the real PT at home.

The fact that You "Stand by Digi and an awesome product with an awesome price" just does not make any sense to me.Last I checked the 001 and PT le was not yet available. Are you a beta tester ??

I speak from fact. The fact that Digi has repeatedly said on this forum that the real version of PT will not run on an AMIII or on the 001.The fact that I now have a useless card in my computer and I can no longer transfer sessions from the studio to home. The fact that I was promised by Digi that I would always be able to upgrade and run the same software as any PT system. Need i go on ?

This is more about the attitude of Digi and because we all love the product. The programers and engineers at Digi get nothing but praise from me. The management and marketing depts. are another story. This is not the first F*ck*d move by them. Until now all you heard from Digi was how "unprofessional" and slow all the host based systems were. Now the 001 hits and all of a sudden its a great idea ! They saw all the money that was going to MOTU and Emagic and they want to get in on it.Well go for it! but do it for real and don't chuck the loyal customers that have made you what you are today.

Why would I give any more money to a company that does not stand by the customer ?

Potential customers need to hear all of this. Digi has been quite successful in promoting PT as THE professional audio program. So if you think that your $1,000 is going to get you into that elite group you are a fool.

I still have hope that when the 001s don't go flying out the door Digi will make it right. I just hope they don't loose too much money before that happens.

kasper
Old 11-01-1999, 11:59 PM

[This message has been edited by Kasper (edited 11-02-99).]
Old 11-03-1999, 10:41 PM

Kasper, I'm with you. It's about support for it's users. Who's to say 5.0 is going to be upgradeable? When 6.0 comes out there may be a new low end system that is not compatible with 001 users.

PT3 in not going to be able to support anything after 5.0, power mix is gone. No more remote ADR made famous by starwars. The only comfort i have is I can upgrade to PT 5.0 LE and use my current AMIII card.

It's fine to produce a software like PT 5.0 LE. But to leave us with 4.3 and no way to upgrade to the real 5.0 unless I spend $10000.00 is outragous. I do audio post for clients with $5,000.00 budgets not $40,000.00

There is also the problem of latency with a host based system that doesn’t exist with an AMIII 4.3 system. so I get 24 tracks with a great i/o but I lose time code and I gain a delay when I over dub.