Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM

Default > Beat Detective Bug PT 8 - conform long capture

I just finally found it safe to move to PT8 with 8.01. Came across a problem with Beat Detective last night that hung me up.

When doing low budget demos, I often use Beat Detective on the drums for a whole song all at once. When I was at the conform step, a msg popped up stating something like "the regions will be moved to a new position according to the bar/beat ruler" and when I click ok the regions moved to completely wrong positions. I had this problem in earlier testing of PT8 (one of a number of reasons I remained on PT 7.4), but in my testing of 8.01 this was fine. I had clients in the studio so it was a little embarrassing as I fumbled around trying to fiqure out what I had done wrong, especially since I had just done another complete tune in one step an hour earlier, and it only took me 60 seconds in total with great results. After much ado, retrying it over and over with variances, including restarts, references, reinstall, etc. . . I finally grabbed just a bar of the song and it worked fine. I then grabbed half the song, and it worked fine, grabbed the other half and fine as well. . .so it seems Beat Detective in PT8 gets confused if you try to conform too long a segment.

Is it just me?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Default Re: > Beat Detective Bug PT 8 - conform long capture

When you hit capture selection, did you double check that it was correctly detecting the beginning and end of the region?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:57 PM

Oh yea, I have used Beat Detective for years and time adjusted hundreds and hundreds of songs. It is nothing that simple. The regions where selected with the start and end of the selection, on bar lines. Things were very simple. . . select xx bars of song, capture, analyze, adjust the sensitivity, separate, and things go crazy when I conform. . . tried a bunch of different settings, different than my usual settings, but to no avail. Simply selecting less of the song and all was fine with no other changes. . . I spent an hour on this. . . in front of clients, and had to deduct an hour from their day, and look like a newbie. . .

I will try and find time to look at this further, but it seems to be a bug, and I was hoping others would have run into it. . . I don't get paid enough for this and the tool set is too expensive to be this flaky!

Hopefully it is just me. . . but I doubt it.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 PM

Not to trivialize your problem but I have had this many times in the past and it always comes down to an errant marker somewhere that got overlooked.
Particularly at the beginning and end of selections but not always.
Also happens if you didn't capture the region exactly.
In fact I had this situation last night and it was a cymbal hit at the end of the track that I should not have included in the selection.
I have seen this from the very first BD incarnation whatever PT version that was.
In my case it's always operator error......the odd glitch in my personal coding
Old 10-23-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
I just finally found it safe to move to PT8 with 8.01. Came across a problem with Beat Detective last night that hung me up.

When doing low budget demos, I often use Beat Detective on the drums for a whole song all at once. When I was at the conform step, a msg popped up stating something like "the regions will be moved to a new position according to the bar/beat ruler"
Ive see this at some point during every BD session.
And for some crazy reason, if you just quantize regions [apple + 0],
they DO go where they should.

Maybe it will work for you?

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post

Is it just me?
Nope, I've had the same problem . . . . many, many, many times; whereas in 7.4, I didn't.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Nope, I've had the same problem . . . . many, many, many times; whereas in 7.4, I didn't.
Sounds Expensive - I have never had this problem in earlier versions of ProTools either, just PT8x. I will try and do some more testing when in the studio. . . Guy McDude - I will try the Quantize regions as well. . .

Quote:
I have had this many times in the past and it always comes down to an errant marker somewhere that got overlooked.
Philbuckle - this is not just a few bad quantize markers. . . it is a total mess and is actually moving the markers to completely different spots, completely different timing then the region separations. . . the whole thing is a disaster, not just one little thing here and there. . .

The strange thing is I select less time and it works. . . select the whole song and the problem occurs. . . and I am perfectly on the bar markers for the in and out points of my selection.

Last edited by Howardk; 10-23-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:54 PM

Agreed. I always used beat detective without problems in 7, but ever since 8 it just doesn't move things correctly...I haven't used it anymore because of this.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:37 PM

I find BD to be just fine in 8. The sensitivity settings are a little different but that was just a matter of making a minor user adjustment. I've not really had any new problems with this version.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:24 PM

I had exactly the same problem numerous times using beat detective last night. I did find on one occassion it was my mistake, I was still in slip mode and had made a selection off of the grid. Other times, it happened in grid mode. I don't use beat detective for conforming regions a whole lot, so I hadn't noticed it before.