Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 AM

Default Melodyne and PT 7.4 +

I posted this at Celemony ... but there isnt any one there.. perhaps there is help here..

Hello I have Melodyn Plugin and use it in Pro Tools 7.4. Melodyne works great. I have run into this many times and was working on vocals and I dreaded re doing a part because I knew what would happen. Here is the Circumstance.

I load the plug in and every thing is great. If i do verse one and then the chorus and then later come back and want to add another verse and or more, all the bar markers are off. So today I was on a song at bar 240 and initial editing was fine. When added another verse PT said 240 and Melodyne was on bar 3oo some where. this is not only on my system but also another system we have and it still happens on PT 8.

any ideas why this happens?? what is the fix or work around??

Thanks

Jeff E
Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Melodyne and PT 7.4 +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff E View Post
I posted this at Celemony ... but there isnt any one there.. perhaps there is help here..

Hello I have Melodyn Plugin and use it in Pro Tools 7.4. Melodyne works great. I have run into this many times and was working on vocals and I dreaded re doing a part because I knew what would happen. Here is the Circumstance.

I load the plug in and every thing is great. If i do verse one and then the chorus and then later come back and want to add another verse and or more, all the bar markers are off. So today I was on a song at bar 240 and initial editing was fine. When added another verse PT said 240 and Melodyne was on bar 3oo some where. this is not only on my system but also another system we have and it still happens on PT 8.

any ideas why this happens?? what is the fix or work around??

Thanks

Jeff E
Hello Jeff,

The way melodyne works is; it records the audio into its "own time lime" once you've crossed the information into melodyne then any changes you make on the PT timeline won't correspond with melodyne. its an independent audio engine thats not linked to the pro tools grid.

worth noting in case its not obvious!! but the audio on the pro tools track gets muted when melodyne is playing the regions. but if melodyne notes get removed/muted or relocated then the original pro tools regions play again as they did before melodyne took control.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 AM

Yes I realize what Melodyne does. It creates a completely different wave file.
The Files i received had 5 songs done back to back in a live situation. I loaded the first song into Melodyne plug-in and everything was fine and matched up great. The Second one starts on measure 190 and once I drop that into Meledyne Protools starts the same but when I have the plug in open the measure marker on there is way off. Every thing works fine ultimately but the measures are off from Meledyne to Pro tools.
I think I need to get a pic of it.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:45 AM

IMO easier to just open Melodyne and fix the vocal, then save audio into the session folder of the song you are working on, hit the "Spot To Pro Tools" check box with the original region highlighted and it will replace it right on time. This seems to be alot smoother than working with it open all the time....
Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottleader View Post
IMO easier to just open Melodyne and fix the vocal, then save audio into the session folder of the song you are working on, hit the "Spot To Pro Tools" check box with the original region highlighted and it will replace it right on time. This seems to be alot smoother than working with it open all the time....
And how do you do that with the Melodyne plugin?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:39 PM

yeah I wish it were possible. The Wave file in the folder won't drop into PT. I had a thread about workflow on this issue and what I understand you have to record it back to another track.

J
Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Yes, much easier to buss the fixed performance to a new track. Had that same thing happen to me where the audio
gets out of whack, and since then, I fix the performance, and buss it out. I don't know if I trust the plugin to load an
entire song at once. I'd rather load in sections at a time, and go from there.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:38 AM

Also Note any tempo changes will knock Melo-Plug or Dyne out.
All is referenced to MIDI.
For very long project or multi tempos, unique instances per section should work better.
If using Mel-Studio with multi tempos locked to pro tools, print your work when it's correct prior to any tempo changing.
If using studio bridge with vari-tempos the engage beat-clock and MTC to melo-sync.

My cleanest work in Melodyne was to up from plug-in to studio. and work standalone.
Export midi tempo map>consolidated-Audio to mel>a minus-mix for reference then save-audio and reimport to Pro Tools when ready. This workflow is very stable and for me on a PPC Mac the fastest performance. Better results and sound than the plug and more stable than bridge or rewire.
For changes just use the L/R markers in melodyne when exporting a small section and import audio to selection for replacement in PT's.

Mel Studio 3.2.2, Plug 1.04.2
PT's 8cs3 OS 10.5.7 PPC DP2.7
Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 AM

Cool.. thanks..
Old 08-10-2009, 09:27 AM

I have noticed several times that Melodyne gets off on measures in the plug-in instance in comparison to the Pro Tools Session. For example, it might thing it is in 1/4 when I am in 3/4 or something. However, if it still plays back in the correct place, I don't worry about it. If things ever start to get wacky, or if I need to change tempo/meter or move files around, I print the corrected track first. I also wait to do any Melodyne until I have done all editing and I am quite certain everything is where I want it to be.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio