Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 AM

Default What exactly goes in the D M E busses?

I need to know exactly what elements go in the Dialog, Effects and Music Busses. Obviously, the music one is easy. My question is specifically geared more towards whether or not added street / room ambience goes into the Dialog buss. Also, I need to know whether or not on-camera door shuts, etc recorded on the dialog boom mic should be retained in my dialog track or removed, put in an effects track, and replaced with room tone back in the dialog track. Should all Foley sound be in the effects buss or can it be mixed into the dialog buss (i.e. on-camera footsteps not recorded properly on set)?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:57 PM

Default Re: What exactly goes in the D M E busses?

The production effects are usualy given to the dialog mixer first, though talking to the supervising sound editor and effects mixer will certainly work it out much better than following a rigid method.

Production effects are kept handy for the main mix and the M&E. Case by case thing.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:31 PM

Default Re: What exactly goes in the D M E busses?

just think about what you would want and how you would want it if you were recipient of these assets. if you were doing international reversioning for eg. trust your judgement.

the way i see it i want sync fx separate from dialog when they happen at the same time. otherwise if the sync fx end up on the dialog stream whilst no one is talking, its no biggie