Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 07:19 PM

Default 12\"powerbooks

Hi,
I'm considering getting a 12" powerbook because the small size works for me. However, I'm concerned about it not being able to perform well with intensive applications like pro tools. I plan on using it for mobile recording, mobile softsynth performance, as well as graphics, editing and 3D programs.

Do you think a 12" powerbook has enough muscle to cut it for these type of intensive applications? Should I just go for a 15 or 17 instead?

Thanks for the input
Old 10-02-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: 12\"powerbooks

Here's what I would do...and I am assuming you have the cash for a 17" powerbook, which stripped would be about three grand. Personally, I would get two computers. I would go ahead and buy the twelve in powerbook, lets say $1700 goes to that, and then I would buy a used dual G4 with a studio display somewhere. I would do work, leisure, whatever on the powerbook(or for that matter a 12" ibook and save a few hundred), and only record on the G4...no other applications except Protools and whatever you need, just for recording. Here's why...when you have a computer that has a ton of apps, especially very processing demanding apps, you lag up your system which causes loss in some of your recording. Your computer is so focused on the internal busses that it forgets those extra 30 or so samples in that one song you recorded. If you have one for all you other apps, final cut, word, motion, whatever, you don't have to worry about capturing anything live so there's no worry for it. Also, your desktop can record way faster off bus speeds to a devoted hard disk than it ever could on firewire. If you can afford it, get two computers. You'll thank yourself for it in the long run. But, if the cash is tight, and I know cause I did it myself, you can get away with a 15" powerbook. I run on a 1.5 G4/1gb of ram and I do pretty well. Just make some room in that budget for a firewire hard drive if you do cause you'll run out of space fast, and you'll definitely get some loss in there. It's not so much that you can tell everytime, but there definitely will be some loss. Good luck-
Karl-
Old 10-02-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: 12\"powerbooks

Without meaning to offend PB12" users (who are having success), the 12" Powerbooks - especially the earlier ones, do not perform anywhere near as well as the other Powerbook models. The screen size will also make a massive difference.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3