Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Digi please don't get distracted with whiners

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ace1 View Post
I
They can test till they're blue in their 'beta' faces, but the true test only comes after release. Everyones systems are different and everyone implements software in many differing ways resulting in many different problems.
i (and i'm sure others) agree with your post Ace

but it's much deeper than that

personal implementation is one thing to be sure to consider

but there are issues on the most basic of just about any user's needs

that should have NEVER been released before cleared up in BETA.

so
1. either the BETAs are unqualified

or

2. AVID just doesn't care enough about the info they get from BETAboys.

months of whining shows the latter is more likely the culprit

Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 AM

I am not a paid Digi beta tester. I've done enough testing for them to be one, though! I am in charge of keeping 9 PT systems up at Cue Recording. We have a 7x drive and an 8x drive (and now a Logic 8 drive) on every MacPro here. Some of the systems go back to 2001 and they run fine for what they do. I love PT. 5-8 - kinks and all. But the Workspace is a real deep pet peeve of mine, now. It was a *fantastic* feature in 7 and now it seems to be broken. All our 8 systems suck at it. That's my native-in-your-jungle reaction.

The difference is, I whine and complain about specific features that were but now seemingly are not, and you would shriek about how awful the whole thing is. I WISH Digi had beta info we could get - anything would beat the speculation game.

It's moot anyway - I don't care anymore and am beginning to wonder if the last 8 years of me using PT was just a 'phase' the way the old fellas here talk about our Studers (we have one 24 track left).

And I'm not attaching religious fervor here - PT has been my life-app for what seems like forever And I've carried that banner a long time - but sometimes it makes you get down on humanity.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 AM

#1. I don't know why I had to surrender. I purchased an upgrade to version 8 from Sweetwater for the normal price.

#2. I have spoken to people off line about specific issues...I don't see the need to post a bunch of computer code on here, I can email to the people directly.

For the record, some people on here have been very helpful and had some great ideas, I am not criticizing people on that are trying to help...But, fellow users are not tech support.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottleader View Post
fellow users are not tech support.
someone correct me if i'm in error here but

PTHD professionals are not the current primary focus and concern of AVID.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 AM

I never heard of the license surrender thing. I do know that some people's ilok accounts get flagged (e.g. for transfer activity) and those people get discriminated against. Perhaps your account was flagged in error? Your ilok account is NOT private!

Anyway I have heard tales that Avid's own programmers are urging HD sites to dual-boot 7.4 and 8 rather than dive headlong into 8. I don't want to get anyone in trouble for being helpful but if I was running HD I would definitely dual-boot, and possibly just use 8 for LE only.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:36 AM

On the iLok PT 8 surrender. I wanted to get started with some testing of PT8 because there were some long awaited features, so I purchased another drive, did a Carbon Copy, installed PT8 on the new drive and activated. I quickly discover some serious problems in PT 8, which I posted, but no worries because I could just go back to PT 7.4, which was my production version, right? WRONG! my old 7.3/7.4 assets were removed.

iLok took a bit of time to get back to me, and said they couldn't help. I called Digidesign 3 times and was on hold for 45 min+ each time, and could not wait any longer. I emailed csadmin with the details and about 7 days later they got back to me and put a replacement license in my iLok account, but did not send a backup (I had 2).

I did my research in advance, and common experience had been that the iLok asset from the prior version was not surrendered, however it did in my case and we could see it in the iLok history. Go figure! Luckily a colleague let me use a spare license, but it costs $25 to transfer it each way. . . hmmm. . . I still have it. I could have avoided this problem, if I had know, but I got stung and both iLok and Digi where not there to support me in an acceptable manner.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
someone correct me if i'm in error here but

PTHD professionals are not the current primary focus and concern of AVID.
you are absolutely correct! I can't even begin to write out my experiences with PT8 HD...but have learnt PTHD users and users on Post are the least focus and concern of AVID. Sorry if you don't like this AVID but its very true
Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonty View Post
you are absolutely correct! I can't even begin to write out my experiences with PT8 HD...but have learnt PTHD users and users on Post are the least focus and concern of AVID. Sorry if you don't like this AVID but its very true
wha...you think they don't already know this?

i just wish they understood with a conscience consciousness the depth of how it feels to invest your bread on PTHD and come to the realization that your investment is not the primary focus of the company you gave all your money to.

to me they are seriously flirting with the wrath of the
Divine Laws of God's Universe.

These Laws are unfailing and must be respected.

God loves us all but when you break the Law...

the Law breaks you, with a Truth lesson......and lovingly.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
wha...you think they don't already know this?

i just wish they understood with a conscience consciousness the depth of how it feels to invest your bread on PTHD and come to the realization that your investment is not the primary focus of the company you gave all your money to.
try working on a busy feature film using PT8, having spent tens of thousands on Protools and digidesign equipment....only to find that it doesn't work because the programming in Pt8.0.1 has rendered everything incompatiable...then get told nothing can be done about it until next year!!!

I'll tell the director that shall I....Im sure he will be very happy to wait until next year for his sound!......he'll be very happy of the vast amounts of money this will cost production as we sit here crossing our thumbs waiting for the fix update for the next 3 months.....I don't think digidesign are going to come out of this in a good light and should recognise how important it is their equipment works in Post
Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonty View Post
I don't think digidesign are going to come out of this in a good light and should recognise how important it is their equipment works in Post
i'm thinking we can only hope the best for them in our thoughts and prayers.

but at some point you just have to get real clear and know the old adage

"if they knew better, they'd do better."