Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-27-2002, 11:43 PM

Default Wireless keyboard and mouse?

What´s the best wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse for the MAC?

Thanks Wolfgang
Old 10-29-2002, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Wireless keyboard and mouse?

I've tried a logitech mouse once and that worked fine. I personally didn't like the feel of the thing so I returned it.
On the other side I don't like the "Pro mouse" from apple. I now use a macally with a wire but with a second button...
Old 11-03-2002, 11:57 PM

Hey Wolfgang I use the logitech kybrd & mouse setup w/ a OmniView Soho digital switcher....the best setup in the world. I can switch between monitors and programs w/ 1 mse & kybrd..........and I'm clutter free [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

One more note when you do get it, there are keyboard strokes to have kybrd act like a apple kybrd. The only function you lose is cdrom eject. I spoke to belkin about a yr ago, they said this is something they will not be supporting, because of some proprietary issues w/ apple. To get around this i just open "Toast" and hit the cntrl E function and there you have it!!
Old 11-06-2002, 06:51 PM

This thread reminded me of a rather amusing story on slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...thread&tid=172

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BenjiF:
This thread reminded me of a rather amusing story on slashdot
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Local conditions can powerfully amplify the effect of a quite weak radio sender. It is not at all impossible for the signal to be picked up 100 meters away, even if the sender's initial radius is 20 meters, The basic message is that your keystrokes, whether they be text or bank codes and passwords, are potentially public broadcast material. Even if a password turns up as a row of stars on the screen, decoding the radio signal does not demand advanced electronics expertise.

I really doubt that simple "RF" is going to be transmitted thru walls & walls of rock combined w/ sound board and insulation, hell I can't even get a cell call in my studio and that signal is much stronger than some keybrd& mouse setup, but if a neighbor wants too decode the name of a session, fine w/ me, because I don't surf w/ my music machine (mac) [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

"Additionally, the keyboard's radio signals can be transmitted to non-insulated cable."
what cabling in a studio isn't shielded? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

"It is possible for the power cables in a computer to transfer the signal to the electricity network. Theoretically, 200 homes sharing the same circuit could tap into the signal directly from an electrical outlet."
this could never happen using Furman IT-1220s in each of my rooms!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

NEXT!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2002, 08:19 PM

No need to defend your position. I wasn't trying to say that wireless keyboards are a bad thing. I don't really even have an opinion on the issue. I just thought the story was good for a quick chuckle, and the subject of this thread brought it back to mind.

Have fun with your toys [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:43 AM

My problem is, I had a wireless Logitech (their very first) key and mouse and had problems that they were not working if the receiver was placed further than half a meter (1.5 foot) away.
When I switched off the mixing desk, my 2 monitors and the EFX rack it worked perfectly but then there was no need for a keyboard and a mouse anymore.
So my question, is the new generation of wireless gear better and is there a difference between radio and infrared transmission?

Cheers Wolfgang
Old 11-12-2002, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang Eller:
So my question, is the new generation of wireless gear better and is there a difference between radio and infrared transmission?
Cheers Wolfgang
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Wolfgang, there is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference between "ir" and "rf"

"IR": Infared transmitter and receiver must always be "inline" w/ each other.
"RF": Radio Frequency can be anywhere in the vacinity, up to 15ft.

do not let this "rf" thing scare you, I have not noticed any hums, buzzes or any degeneration in music or vocals, in regards to this!!
GO FOR IT!!
~too sense~

BenJif......high five bro. I have nothing but love for ppl on DUC! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]