How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2014, 02:53 AM

Default Academic Eligibility

Hi,

I was just wanting to clarify something about the Academic Eligibility when buying Pro Tools 11.

I myself am not a student buy my girlfriend works at a college and falls under the "Faculty & Staff" Eligibility. She wants to buy me PT 11, does the Academic Eligibility still apply even though she's buying it for me? Will there by any trouble when using PT possibly in a professional situation in the future?

There isn't any clear information on this type of situation so any advice would be great thanks.

Simon
Old 11-28-2014, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Academic Eligibility

Works fine. I did this exact thing but for a friend. I bought the academic LE crossgrade from Sweetwater, set up an Avid account in my friend's name, registered the academic verification with my girlfriend's academic email address. Then in my friend's Avid account I input the serial for his 002. And voila - all done. Pro Tools 11 for £63. Nice deal.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:56 AM

The moral of the story is another thing -- but practically speaking if you buy EDU license, then you need to clear the screening before the activation code is sent to you. If you have a friend who is eligible and that friend shares the software with you, there is no technical obstacle that I can see.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the reply's guys.

I'm torn between either grabbing the Academic version or getting a bundle I've seen online. It comes with the Fast Track Duo but I've read a lot online that iMac Core 2 Duo machines running Mavericks aren't supported rendering it useless! It's a pretty decent deal though. Annoying that it's not supported!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:12 AM

If I'm not mistaken, future upgrades could get sticky if you've purchased an Academic license from a friend. I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you'll still need your friend to facilitate future purchases, if nothing more than access to their email account.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:29 AM

I think I read somewhere on avid.com that you will need to re-verify your academic status every time you renew your service plan, so you'll want to be really nice to your girlfriend!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-28-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I think I read somewhere on avid.com that you will need to re-verify your academic status every time you renew your service plan, so you'll want to be really nice to your girlfriend!
Interesting. Had a browse round to check this - as far as I can see, you need to re-verify if you're on a current student deal and want to jump on the service plan. I can find nothing about future upgrades...
Old 11-28-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grame99 View Post
Interesting. Had a browse round to check this - as far as I can see, you need to re-verify if you're on a current student deal and want to jump on the service plan. I can find nothing about future upgrades...
You might also want to have a look at this thread started by me ...

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=360401

It's from a student perspective, but it highlights all the issues, one of which is that it is stated the new licensing FAQ that students will have to re-verify that they are stoll a student at every upgrade.

Efforts to get proper answers get diluted the more threads that start up with similar topis.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-28-2014, 07:10 PM

These kids won't be students forever so if they're requiring verification then at some point you'll be forced to upgrade at regular prices.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:50 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I decided to just put the money up now and save hassle later. Grabbed a pretty good deal off gear4music and got Fast Track Duo with PT 10 & 11 for £299!

I think the student version was only going to work out about £50 cheaper from what I could find anyway