Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 PM

Default MBox 3 Pro + ElevenRack: Why I don't see both?

Hello All,

I recently bought an MBox 3 Pro to use it as my main interface. Before that, I was using Eleven Rack as interface.

I have both connected properly and I can chose any of them as "Playback Engine". However, I can only see the one that is selected as "Playback Engine" in the [Setup -> Hardware] menu.

Is that normal? I think one should have the ability to change parameters for both interfaces without having to set them as Playback Engine first. I kinda remember I was able to see 2 interfaces in that menu when I had a Digi 003 and the Eleven Rack at the same time, but I'm not completely sure I remember correctly.

This is resulting in a problem because (and maybe this is another bug) when I start ProTools with the MBox as default interface, it automatically goes to 44.1 Khz resolution. Since I have the Eleven Rack configured to take its clock from the MBox via S/PDIF, the Eleven Rack goes to 44.1 Khz too. But then, if I open a session at 96 Khz, the Eleven Rack continues to take the clock from the MBox BUT keeps its resolution at 44.1 Khz, which starts to cause a lot of clicks and pops. In order to resolve that, I have to:

1) Close my session
2) Change the MBox default resolution manually in the "Setup -> Hardware" menu to 96 Khz
3) Change the default interface to Eleven Rack in the "Setup -> Playback Engine" menu
4) Open the "Setup -> Hardware" menu again so I can see the Eleven Rack and change its clock to "internal" (so I can move the rest), then change the resolution to 96 Khz, then change the clock to "S/PDIF" again.
5) Change the default interface to MBox in the "Setup -> Playback Engine" menu
6) Reopen my session

That just doesn't seem right, but the darn thing is not automatically changing the Eleven Rack resolution when its clock is set to S/PDIF and the Playback Engine interface is the MBox.

Shoudn't the Eleven Rack modify its internal resolution automatically if its synched to the MBox via S/PDIF? If the answer is "no", then I think I should still be able to see both interfaces in the "Setup -> Hardware" menu, it would be a lot faster to fix the problem.

Francisco

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''
Old 10-26-2012, 07:36 AM

Default Re: MBox 3 Pro + ElevenRack: Why I don't see both?

A couple of issues here:

1. The new Mboxes, whenever something is hooked up via Spidf, require that they be clocked externally from whatever is hooked up to them. So you have to have the Eleven Rack be the master clock, not the other way around. I don't know why they did this, but they did. It's specifically stated in the manual. Some third party interfaces also have this requirement, such as the NI Komplete Audio 6.

So that will hopefully take care of the clocking problem.

2. You should probably use the Mbox as your main interface. You can still have access to the Eleven Rack GUI Window as long as it is still hooked up by USB, even though it is not selected as the main interface. So you can still use that to change parameters, etc.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM

Two interfaces would show up in LE8, I did it. But I sold my 003 before I got PT9 and from what I am told, both interfaces do not show up anymore.

You can control the Eleven Rack clock and sample rate from the Eleven Rack Control Panel in CONTROL PANEL on Windows.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 PM

Unhappy Re: MBox 3 Pro + ElevenRack: Why I don't see both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
A couple of issues here:

1. The new Mboxes, whenever something is hooked up via Spidf, require that they be clocked externally from whatever is hooked up to them. So you have to have the Eleven Rack be the master clock, not the other way around. I don't know why they did this, but they did. It's specifically stated in the manual. Some third party interfaces also have this requirement, such as the NI Komplete Audio 6.
Well, that absolutely sucks. First of all, the MBox is supposed to have a much better clock/jitter than the Eleven Rack, which makes it the best clock source in my setup. Not only that, I also have a Focusrite preamp that gets its clocking from Word Clock. So, I'm setting up the MBox as main clock and synching the Eleven Rack via S/PDIF and the Focusrite via Word Clock.

And, most important yet: it PERFECTLY works that way. The only thing being an issue is having to do a ridiculous process to setup the clocking before opening a session, just because ProTools doesn't show the Eleven Rack in the Setup -> Hardware menu if it's not selected as the Playback Engine. It should show it there, it's seeing it and it's working with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Two interfaces would show up in LE8, I did it. But I sold my 003 before I got PT9 and from what I am told, both interfaces do not show up anymore.

You can control the Eleven Rack clock and sample rate from the Eleven Rack Control Panel in CONTROL PANEL on Windows.
Yes, I remember better now. The first time I connected my Eleven Rack and my 003+ together, it was on PT 8.3. I could see both interfaces in the Setup -> Hardware menu and control the Eleven Rack's clocking and resolution while having the 003+ set as Playback Engine.

About the control panel icon for Eleven Rack, it would be perfect if it was usable when ProTools is open. Once ProTools takes control of Eleven Rack, that control panel app shows everything grayed out. :-(

Francisco

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM

I'm having a similar problem. In my case rather than a mbox I have a tascam DM4800 with firewire card as my audio interface into PT10. But your workaround doesn't work for me because I can't see the 11 rack as an option in setup>hardware or setup>playback engine. Yet it works fine in 44.1. but when I set my mixer to a different sample rate I cannot get the 11 rack to change along with it. really frustrating.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2RPW View Post
I'm having a similar problem. In my case rather than a mbox I have a tascam DM4800 with firewire card as my audio interface into PT10. But your workaround doesn't work for me because I can't see the 11 rack as an option in setup>hardware or setup>playback engine. Yet it works fine in 44.1. but when I set my mixer to a different sample rate I cannot get the 11 rack to change along with it. really frustrating.
I'm currently using the Eleven Rack panel (from Windows Control Panel) to change the 11R resolution when necessary. When I make it clock-slave, I keep having to change it to internal, then the correct resolution, then external again. There's some bug in 11R making it fail to change correctly when it's in slave/external clock mode.

Francisco

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
I'm currently using the Eleven Rack panel (from Windows Control Panel) to change the 11R resolution when necessary. When I make it clock-slave, I keep having to change it to internal, then the correct resolution, then external again. There's some bug in 11R making it fail to change correctly when it's in slave/external clock mode.

Francisco
Any idea where the eleven rack panel is on a mac? I can't find it.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 PM

Even if you're using the 11R hooked up digitally to your other interface, you still need to have the 11R hooked up by USB to the computer in order to access the GUI window. Assuming you have that hooked up, the window will be in the upper left drop down menu called "window".
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2RPW View Post
Any idea where the eleven rack panel is on a mac? I can't find it.
Do you mean the on-screen editor or the Eleven Rack Control Panel?

If its the Eleven Rack Control Panel then:

It is in Control Panel on Windows

and on OSX I think its in System Preferences.

If its the 11R UI then nst7 has your answer above.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM

I managed to solve my problem by downloading the latest 11R driver 1.1.1. once that was installed I could see the 11R in the setup>playback engine and once I switched the clock source to the AES/EBU all the clicking and popping disappeared and when I changed sample rates on my mixer the 11R followed automatically.

From what I've read, you need driver 1.1.1 to work properly with mountain lion on PT 10.