Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2008, 02:01 PM

Default midi selection still an issue?

Have latest 7.3 on my tiger boot, noticed midi selection on various bars won't select or copy. Wondering if this was fixed in 7.4?
Old 07-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripit View Post
Have latest 7.3 on my tiger boot, noticed midi selection on various bars won't select or copy. Wondering if this was fixed in 7.4?
Hi,

Can you be more specific and give some examples.

Only time midi won't copy is if it falls just before the bar you are trying to copy, so you need to make sure the note us sitting on the beat or after it.

Realtime midi quantize is no good if you want to copy paste etc! you need to use "event operations midi quantize"

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Can you be more specific and give some examples.

Only time midi won't copy is if it falls just before the bar you are trying to copy, so you need to make sure the note us sitting on the beat or after it.

Realtime midi quantize is no good if you want to copy paste etc! you need to use "event operations midi quantize"

Chris
Thanks Chris,
I just had this issue last night. I don't do a lot of midi in PT, as I use DP with DAE mostly, but I had a song that I was working on in PT and had one track of midi.
The problem was that when I selected a few bars to copy and paste, the first note would copy some of the time and then wouldn't other times. (I don't use quantize, and yes the note landed after the bar)

Also, and even more disturbing, is that I had an issue when dragging a single note from one bar to another. It would work fine except on one of the bars, where it wouldn't show up. After multi tries, it did finally stick, except it snapped to the wrong pitch. Then I couldn't get it to delete. If I highlighted it and tried to delete or use cut, it didn't remove it. Also, at that point I could not slide the note up or down. Also, it didn't trigger any sound on playback. Very strange and clearly, it was some kind of bug.

I know that there was some kind of midi selection bug, just wondering it that was solved in 7.4
Old 07-27-2008, 12:37 AM

im a newbie in this forum and not much into forums either but i definitely need help on something..im getting this message "no record volumes designated" when i do a fade out.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 PM

I've had this problem as well since 7.1 maybe even earlier. I noticed that sometimes when I drag or copy n drag say a 4 bar section to another location the whole section would disappear or not drag at all, sometimes it won't highlight even and you can't do anything at all, not even delete esp. in "note" mode. It's as if that midi section got corrupt somehow. Usually it happens when a part is copied over from another section and the only way to delete it is to go into a different midi view mode like "block" and copy or delete that... what a pain in the arse!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGato View Post
I've had this problem as well since 7.1 maybe even earlier. I noticed that sometimes when I drag or copy n drag say a 4 bar section to another location the whole section would disappear or not drag at all, sometimes it won't highlight even and you can't do anything at all, not even delete esp. in "note" mode. It's as if that midi section got corrupt somehow. Usually it happens when a part is copied over from another section and the only way to delete it is to go into a different midi view mode like "block" and copy or delete that... what a pain in the arse!
Exactly. I ended up having to use block to finally cut the bad section out.
That's just one of many reasons why I use DP instead of PT for midi. It's such a pain to have to deal with something as lame as that. It really should be addressed.
Are you on 7.4? Wondering if this is still an issue.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM

This is still a very annoying MIDI thing in PT. I'll move a note say in 1/8th notes in grid mode, and all of the sudden the note just dissapears, usually where I need the note to be moved to, but it will re-appear at the next bar? Seems to be if I save & close the session, and go back in, usually that fixes the problem. Very annoying indeed. There are times when even after quantizing, I still have to zoom in and make sure the notes are not outside the area I'm working in before copying or dragging to a new location....
Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 AM

I'll keep saying this until they do it.

If Digi could just get the midi functionality in PT up to Digital Performer 1999 standards, we'd all be much happier.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:37 AM

Yes we would