Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2003, 12:07 AM

Default Multiple ProTools 6 systems and Xserve RAID?

Is there anybody who knows:

can the the freshly announced Xserve RAID from Apple be used as a SAN solution for multiple ProTools 6 systems?

-Matts
Old 02-25-2003, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Multiple ProTools 6 systems and Xserve RAID?

I had the same thought - and have been discussing it on Gearslutz. I think it'd work great and I want one!
Old 02-25-2003, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Multiple ProTools 6 systems and Xserve RAID?

Paul, do you know anything about the Apple-bundled administration software and how it might - or might not - make the Xserve RAID (together with a FC-switch and FC-cards in all the connected computers) work as a SAN solution right out of the box?
Or is there a definite need for 3rd party software (for example ImageSAN from Rorke or AccelWare from ATTO, if they are compatible with the Xserve RAID) to be able to get a SAN out of that box, so to speak.

Over at Gearslutz someone said: "Don't confuse SAN or storage area networking with fibre channel either. The two aren't dependant on each other."
Not knowing enough myself (about FC, SAN or for instance Xserve RAID) I feel that answers to these questions are crucial.

-Matts