Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 01-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Default win7 64 PTHD 9.0.1 hard disk optimization

hi there

I couldn't help but notice that there are some optimization procedures in the xp sticky, that could also be implemented for the win7 64 bit environment.

my question is, should a win7 64bit PTHD9 system conduct this following step?

Formatting and Configuring an Audio Drive

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO BACK UP ALL DATA BEFORE PERFORMING A FORMAT OF YOUR DRIVE AS THE FORMATTING PROCESS WILL ERASE ALL DATA! IDEALLY YOU SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST 2 COPIES OF ANY IMPORTANT DATA AT ALL TIMES!

1. Right-click My Computer and choose Manage
2. Under Storage, choose Disk Management
3. In the Disk Management window, right-click the hard drive you will use for audio and choose Format
4. For optimal disk performance, select 32K from the Allocation unit size pull-down. This increases how efficiently audio data is written to and
read from the drive
5. Make sure the Quick Format option is deselected, then click Start, and follow the on-screen instructions

Note that Pro Tools only supports Basic drive types for Audio

just for the record, my 2nd audio designated sessions disk is running fine, as is, 100gb seagate ntfs quick format. just doesn't hurt to ask.