Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2017, 08:05 PM

Default Fix Side Chain Delay Compensation NOW please!

Hello Avid.

Its a disgrace that side chains aren't delay compensated in Pro Tools (and HD) Native. This is made much worse by the fact that youv'e chosen to include a side chain feature but not tell anyone that its not delay compensated. I wonder what use you think anyone has for a compressor thats being triggered out of time with the song!?

Im calling on you to fix this issue immediately, or to provide a good technical reason why it cant be fixed (I cant think of one but maybe you can enlighten us). Or failing this, delete the feature entirely so people aren't unknowingly using out of time side chaining, and wasting countless hours wondering why it sounds bad.

All of the other features and upgrades pale into insignificance compared to this issue, and it should be your first and only concern until it is fixed. Otherwise, you could considering dropping the 'Pro' from your software's name.

With sincerity and hope for a speedy resolution,

Matt Redlich
Old 03-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Fix Side Chain Delay Compensation NOW please!

Yes please fix this - I'm trying to make sick EDM / live my life as an engineer and this is making that unnecessarily hard.

Stop being weird, update PT so I can use this elementary feature or I'll buy Ableton just like Kanye's producer did.

Your's faithfully,

AL
Old 03-03-2017, 08:59 PM

Please either fix this ASAP or re market it as a random time offset.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:07 PM

The long overdue of delay comp within side-chaining would [finally] bring PT in line with other DAWS. Huge oversight for such a common part of modern mixing practice
Old 03-03-2017, 10:10 PM

100% in support of this for a few reasons.

It's 2017 and like it or not there is an incredibly high amount of music that utilises sidechain processing for creative purposes, this isn't just some nerdy process anymore. For a software of this calibre, prestige (errr industry standard) and age it's completely unreasonable that a fairly techincal workaround is required.

I've researched high and low for workarounds and nothing sticks and or is too complicated.

Just to give dear readers an indication of my tedious workaround - a typical pop session that I get that has synths, basses, keyboards, guitars etc quite often utilises sidechaining for effect. Quite often the amount of GR may vary from instrument to instrument so grouping these into one aux etc won't always work. Don't get me started on then throwing additional time based effects.

In this scenario I duplicate the sidechain file with no processing on it and I will then assign it to a bus(es) to trigger the compressor. I will then enable the "listen to sidechain" button on the compressor of the channel I'm ducking, THEN set up a new audio track to print through. I highlight the delay amount between the source trigger file and the newly printed file to determine the latency and then adjust the original trigger file accordingly. Multiply this process by a few instances if I would like to compress certain instruments differently.

Sounds great, right? To be a further pain the ass, this delay amount will change the instant you throw on a new plugin on a certain track, change its routing or even sometimes just when you reopen the session later. Oh yeah ProTools has a tendency to crash multiple times a day, so that's always fun when that one happens.

And yes I've tried numerous other workarounds and they all suck in their own way and ultimately shouldn't be necessary.

T
Old 03-04-2017, 05:10 AM

Agoraphobia has the workaround. I have been duplicating the "trigger/key" track and then nudging it to get it to the timing right for many years. Unfortunate to have to do this, but it works.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 03-04-2017, 05:46 AM

link to ideascale?
Old 03-04-2017, 03:14 PM

Link to Avid giving a rats backside?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-04-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
https://www.avid.(*)
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 03-04-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: tailing off now
Old 03-04-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
and why is this a reason not to complain about it? id have though its a reason to complain MORE.