Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 08:51 PM

Default Spaces between rack gear?

I currently have in my rack a furman power conditioner, scarlett 18i20, warm audio wa73 preamp, art mpa II preamp, presonus studio channel, klark teknik kt2a, dbx 160x, art p16, and a samson s patch. After getting my last couple pieces of gear I dont have enough room in the rack to keep empty spaces between everything so my question is do I need to keep spaces between gear or only certain pieces of gear. Thanks guys!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Spaces between rack gear?

Gear is designed to be racked and usually heat tolerance is factored into the design. If you're worried, just leave the warmest items with an empty space above. And if you're obsessed with the issue, put a small quiet fan behind the rack to assist in venting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-18-2020, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Spaces between rack gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Gear is designed to be racked and usually heat tolerance is factored into the design. If you're worried, just leave the warmest items with an empty space above. And if you're obsessed with the issue, put a small quiet fan behind the rack to assist in venting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Something to watch out for is any gear that's dsp powered - those chips can get hot. My 11 Rack gets VERY warm during a 12 hour day. It's not just tubes that generate heat. My Marshall DSL 401 tube amp runs cooler than the 11 Rack. My Moog Voyager Rack Mount synth gets warm after a few minutes as well. So can power centers. There's a lot of things that can get warm that people don't think about.

If expansion is in the future for the OP I'd suggest getting a second rack and moving some of the gear over there. Putting a fan in the back is a good idea however......... If it's a wood rack they generally don't have rear rack mounting rails. I ran into that here and had to buy & mount rack rails in the back to mount a pair of fans in a rack blank. It's not that easy of a job to get things right.

QAPLA!