Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 AM

Default Protools setup for drum recording

Does anyone have a good tutorial for setting up your protools before recording drums?

I want to record several drum-tracks with 8 mics.
I once saw someone record drums in protools, with a really nice setup. When the drummer needed to do another take, the guy simply pushed a button and he could do another take (without making 'new' tracks). Don't know if this is really clear... But you get some kind of 'push down' list where you can choose between 'take 1, take 2, ...).
Thanks in advance!

M'
Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Protools setup for drum recording

Make a group of all your drum AUDIO tracks. Selecting New Playlist will get you a new blank set of tracks(using the group will cause this function to happen to all drum tracks at once). You might spend a little time at youtube.com and search for things like "using playlists in Pro Tools" and "using groups in Pro Tools"(without the quotes). Its a great source for tutorial videos Of course, we all assume you have some interface with 8 preamps.....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-30-2012, 02:08 AM

If you have iTunes there is a 2 hour tutorial all about recording drums. Called, quite simply, recording drums! Cost here in Australia is $10.49. Made by appdesidner.com. Well worth the Money IMO!
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Protools setup for drum recording

Basically if you want to do multiple takes or comp parts you just go into preferences and select ,if I remember new play list for new takes. or something like that.
This means if you do 20 takes you have 20 play lists.
You can either select the best take or comp them together for one take.

I don't know how new you are to recording but there is a sweet spot on everything where it sounds its best. Even drum heads but be careful when trying to find the sweetspot because a contributing factor to a sweetspot is how hard the skins are hit. So the drum check of the sweetspot needs to be of equal power to the drummers or you will get a false sweetspot. Sweetspots change so don't tap if the drummer smacks don't smack if the drummer taps .
A good reference is the three finger rule . about three fingers up to start. The closer to the middle the more lowed you get . Closer to the rim less low end.
I generally start half way to centre then hear if either direction sounds better faster. Its easier to get a clear drum sound at the rim but DONT be fool,d good drum tones are not at the rim most of the time.
three fingers up , three fingers out is a good general guideline
But no guideline is ever a set in stone .