Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 PM

Default New to Midi

and new to PT for that matter. I guess I just don't really get my arms around Midi. I am running two separate controllers. I have an M-Audio Pro Keys 88 and I have an Axiom 49.

I can trigger my virtual instruments from either of these controllers. I have them both set up in my Midi Studio setup.

My problem is that I can't get them to "both" operate at the same time controlling DIFFERENT VI's. For example - in a given session - if I have my Pro Keys controlling a piano in Akoustik Piano - then my Axiom is also controlling that instrument. I want it set so that I can control different VI's at the same time.....and apparently I don't understand how to do that. I can select them on the Midi controller section in the track - but I can't get them separated.

For that matter - I probably don't know exactly how I should have them set up in the preferences. I don't completely understand the midi channel selections in the setup and I have read the Getting Started guide, the Reference Guide, and even the 101 Manual.....and there is nothing in there that educates me on really how I should set this stuff up.

Sorry, I'm probably asking questions about a very elementary issue - but I can't figure it out. Can anyone provide some assistance - or direct me where to read it myself. If it's there I haven't found it.

Mbox 2 Pro,
KOMPLETE 5,
EZdrummer w/Nashville EZX

M-Audio Pro Keys 88.....M-Audio Axiom 49
UA-LA610.....AT4040.....AT4047
M-Audio BX8a Studio Monitors
Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 AM

I covered this in your other thread (you really should have continued this there); which part of that did you not understand? (If we know which part you aren't getting, it will be easier for us to break it down for you).

I will give you detailed instructions again, so that you can walk through it yourself:
  1. create two stereo instrument tracks.
  2. on the first track insert your first VI (akoustik piano?).
  3. on the First track's MIDI input selector, select the Pro Keys. (chapter 10, page 166 of the Pro Tools Reference Guide... keep in mind that the instrument track's instrument view can be hidden... just like the ref guide says. )
  4. on the second track, insert your second VI (whatever you choose).
  5. on the First track's MIDI input selector, select the Axiom
That's really all there is to it. If, after doing that, you are still hearing the same instrument while playing both controllers, then you must have the default MIDI thru instrument set to the first selected MIDI track. (chapter 7, page 89). Just change it.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12