Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2018, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Will elastic audio ever get fixed?

Not bad James! Interesting workflow. Thanks for doing this. Just some anomalies (especially on the downbeat of bar 2), but better than x-form for sure. I just wish it could be as easy and quick in Pro Tools as it is in Logic.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
My take, though not the usual workflow. Used Beat Detective to create bar|beat markers. Dropped track into ticks mode. Turned on polyphonic EA. Quantized tempo to 100 by turning off conductor.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdvp0bane9...-Poly.wav?dl=0

You're quite right though about the quality using the standard method.. Even X-Form in my workflow yielded crappier results.
That's good info...I'm going to have to try that.

OT- have you had any issues with the Red 8Pre 2.3.3 (or now 2.3.2) firmware/driver and TB functionality with you hacks? Mine isn't working (5960x X99 A-ii with ThunderboltEX3), but does still work with real macs.

Last edited by RyanC; 03-09-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:19 AM

Is it using TB3 on real macs?

TB3 is only on Laptops from what I remember, all the trash cans I believe had TB2

I have the X99 A ii Deluxe (or something like that)

I know that in the BIOS you have to configure the PCIE cards to allow the TB slot a lane....

The mobo manual hopefully makes it clearer than I stated it.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
OT- have you had any issues with the Red 8Pre 2.3.3 (or now 2.3.2) firmware/driver and TB functionality with you hacks? Mine isn't working (5960x X99 A-ii with ThunderboltEX3), but does still work with real macs.
I suppose it is your thread to steer into the weeds if you like.

While i can access the Red 8Pre via Focusrite Control, actually passing audio via TB on the hack is another matter. I have not been able to get it to work with any app, not just Pro Tools. I think I'll have to accelerate my plan of getting an HD Native card.

Do you know why Focusrite reverted to 2.3.2? I could not get the Red 8Pre to work with my Macbook until 2.3.3 so it seems odd to me that they pulled it.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-09-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:

You're quite right though about the quality using the standard method.. Even X-Form in my workflow yielded crappier results.
I remember reading that while you can choose X-Form as the default TC/E Plug-in algorithm, that does not mean that's the algorithm that gets used for EA in quantizing audio, for example. EA uses it's own algorithm. You can test this by switching the default TC/E Plug-in to various other choices such as Pitch 'n Time, Waves Soundshifter, Z-plane, etc., and it doesn't produce any difference in the results. So X-Form, which is excellent and is based on Izotope's Radius, works great in Audiosuite mode and with the TC/E tool, but doesn't come into play with EA. If it were to be used here, I'd bet PT would be ahead of Logic in this dept.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I suppose it is your thread to steer into the weeds if you like.

While i can access the Red 8Pre via Focusrite Control, actually passing audio via TB on the hack is another matter. I have not been able to get it to work with any app, not just Pro Tools. I think I'll have to accelerate my plan of getting an HD Native card.

Do you know why Focusrite reverted to 2.3.2? I could not get the Red 8Pre to work with my Macbook until 2.3.3 so it seems odd to me that they pulled it.
Lol, well at this point I think whatever relevant points regarding EA have already been made. I do appreciate your insight.

On my systems the Red 8pres were working great on TB (as was a dock with USB HDMI etc) until 2.3.3. Focusrite gave me the files and procedure to wipe the firmware and reupdate, but it kindof bricked my units. 2.3.3 would not re-rewrite the firmware. Then when I went back to 2.1.8, it works again, but the screens on the front of the 8pre are stuck. At this point focusrite sent me 2 replacements, but neither of them will work with the hacks either. I have a nMP and am switching to that for now...I'm moving into a bigger space soon with more people working and moving forward I might just switch back to real macs (fingers crossed the next round of mac pros is more of a *normal* computer...)

If you erase your firmware (I can share the FCtool if you want it) and reset to 2.1.8 it will *work* but only a 44.1 and the screens on the unit will be stuck at the bootup screen. Updating back to 2.3.2 or higher makes it only work with real macs again, and yes it won't get any audio from any app.

The downside to HDN is that without TB you will not be able to connect the ipad app or control anything from the FC app, if you need those functions.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Is it using TB3 on real macs?

TB3 is only on Laptops from what I remember, all the trash cans I believe had TB2

I have the X99 A ii Deluxe (or something like that)

I know that in the BIOS you have to configure the PCIE cards to allow the TB slot a lane....

The mobo manual hopefully makes it clearer than I stated it.
TB is working on my machine, and the 8Pre did work great up until 2.3.3. I wish I could go back, but even with Focusrite's firmware erase tool it will not reset to anything prior to 2.3.2.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
I remember reading that while you can choose X-Form as the default TC/E Plug-in algorithm, that does not mean that's the algorithm that gets used for EA in quantizing audio, for example. EA uses it's own algorithm. You can test this by switching the default TC/E Plug-in to various other choices such as Pitch 'n Time, Waves Soundshifter, Z-plane, etc., and it doesn't produce any difference in the results. So X-Form, which is excellent and is based on Izotope's Radius, works great in Audiosuite mode and with the TC/E tool, but doesn't come into play with EA. If it were to be used here, I'd bet PT would be ahead of Logic in this dept.
audio quantizing can only be done with elastic audio enabled, and an offline x form algorithm can indeed be chosen. What I do is use the fast realtime algos for preview then render them to x form later on. And yes, Radius is fantastic.. so I don't get it either..

Ea has multiple algorithms.. it defaults to an average polyphonic one.. i wonder if that's what you are using hence bad results.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:51 PM

I just did it.. imported piano original file into 100 tempo project..

enabled elastic, chose x form as elastic algo.

quantized to 1/8th.

zero of the artefacts in your EA file. None of them at all. As i thought.

Ok, edit, right at the end, and only right at the end when the piano gets quiet, there are a couple of warbles..

This is simply because Pro tools has put too many transient markers in automatically and is quantising them all to grid, all tiny little snippets of the audio when they should be one note.. I will delete the rogue transients and this will be flawless.

I will do it later though as it's Sunday and I have a moomba to go to. :)
Old 03-10-2018, 02:52 PM

Great! Let's hear it!