Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-19-2003, 08:18 AM

Default G4 MDD & Digi 001 - Strange noises, anyone?

I read this recently on the Apple G4 discussion forum:

Quote:
Another serious issue - and much of the audio industry, at least in the UK, is aware of this now - the motherboard sends a 33/34hz spike to the PCI bus affecting most Pro audio cards. This frequency is laid down in recordings, rendering the MDD mac virtually useless for pro audio work. Apple is aware of the problem, but will not acknowledge it officially.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Full"]http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bbda5ec/62]Full post here[/url]
Anyone had any experience of this?

I ask because I'm in the market for a new Mac. (Too many tracks & plug ins make my G4/400 cough a bit, and a TDM system is beyond my budget just now!)

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:58 AM

Default Re: G4 MDD & Digi 001 - Strange noises, anyone?

I bought an 867 X 2 last month, and there is a groung loop noise that can be gotten rid-of with a Radio Shack adapter in the 1/8th in. analog jack output. It also gets rid of the headphone noise. I'm just moving into the "Mac" world and almost had a #%*%@ - fit when I heard the noise. I couldn't even believe there was a ground loop inside it's own system. The fan noise is another issue, but it's better than the high pitch whinning oscillations of a PC fan noise.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:04 AM

I bought an 867 X 2 last month, and there is a groung loop noise that can be gotten rid-of with a Radio Shack adapter in the 1/8th in. analog jack output. It also gets rid of the headphone noise. I'm just moving into the "Mac" world and almost had a #%*%@ - fit when I heard the noise. I couldn't even believe there was a ground loop inside it's own system. "If" there is another problem in the 34hz area, I'm not sure, that is a very low frequency and I'll look for that thread. The fan noise is another issue, but it's better than the high pitch whinning oscillations of a PC fan noise.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:09 AM

Sorry about the double post, there was some administraive error that docked the post for 60 secounds or something, then I added some stuff, weird man.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2003, 11:21 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking about a 1GHz Dp machine as well, but now I'm not sure.

Has anyone else had serious ProTools issues with the new machines?
Old 01-19-2003, 11:44 AM

By he way, I just read over on the Apple discussions group that the audio noises only happen in OS9. In OSX teh fans are software controlled. Perhaps PT 6 will eliminate the noise problems?
Old 01-19-2003, 04:04 PM

I know someone who had major problems with a dual 1.25GHz G4 MDD. From an email he sent me recently:
Quote:
...my problem turned out to be the power supply rather than the logic board (which they replaced four times!)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-however, I think if you but direct from Applestore, you're less likely to buy one with the problematic logic board in it.

You could wait until the next generation G4 comes out (this spring - if the rumours can be believed) but, it is also rumoured that these will only boot into OSX. If you're running any older software (Cubase 5 for example) or have a SCSI card without X drivers then there could be a problem, as these things may not work properly in "Classic" mode.