How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

I think it's Estonia or one of the other Baltics, but there must be one or more US software engineers heading things up. Regardless, I think the new guys had a pretty steep learning curve.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 12-01-2014, 12:01 PM

The last CEO was boosting Q4 profits for his gold and dumped the us workforce. He now lives in boston eating ribeye's and creamed spinach.

The american dream used to be to work hard and be successful. Now its how can you squeeze everyone around you and make the most for yourself.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:06 PM

According to a friend of mine who worked for Opcode, their developers who were hired by digidesign after the company folded are still working there.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
According to a friend of mine who worked for Opcode, their developers who were hired by digidesign after the company folded are still working there.

https://glennchan.wordpress.com/2013...market-leader/

Quote:
#2- Fire your development team
Quote:
Avid fired the development team behind its Sibelius software as it was trying to save costs by outsourcing labour to Ukraine. This is a mind-boggling move. The most valuable assets of a software company are:
A- The source code.
B- The programmers who created the source code.
Duplicating the development team is extremely difficult to do. If it was easy, much of our software would be outsourced to China/India. You can’t simply hire another set of programmers to churn out X lines of source code. If it were that simple, clone versions of existing software would have significantly higher market share than they do today. Making great software is really, really hard. Hiring good programmers is hard as they differ wildly in productivity and it’s hard to figure out how good somebody is. Motivating and keeping your developers is hard. Knowing which features to work on is hard. The intangibles are important and Avid has basically thrown that value away.
Now, Steinberg has rehired the original development team to work on a new, competing piece of software. The new team has a blog here and they are clearly very passionate about what they do.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
Directly under the title of the page you linked: "DISCLAIMER: Some of the information on this site is wrong. Always do your own research."

Of course he doesn't point out WHICH information is wrong.

Probably a good idea to take investment advice from elsewhere as well.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 Junipers View Post
Directly under the title of the page you linked: "DISCLAIMER: Some of the information on this site is wrong. Always do your own research."

Of course he doesn't point out WHICH information is wrong.

Probably a good idea to take investment advice from elsewhere as well.

i didnt go there for investment advice. I went there to show that avid fired a bunch of people and outsourced the work. But you knew that already and just wanted to argue about something unrelated.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:49 PM

actually whats funny is if you DID take his advice at the time and shorted the stock at $10 you would of made money :)
Old 12-01-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
i didnt go there for investment advice. I went there to show that avid fired a bunch of people and outsourced the work. But you knew that already and just wanted to argue about something unrelated.
Nope. The writer of your link doesn't say what info he posted is incorrect. THAT was my point. I believe (but do not know) that he is correct about the Sibelius team. How is the reader to know or trust the information?

Given the original writers disclaimer, perhaps there is a more authoritative link?

FWIW - I don't like outsourcing anymore than you appear to. And I agree with the sentiment you express re: "squeeze everyone else". But that has ALWAYS been the corporate and sometimes 'private' impetus.

BTW - In June of 2013 Avid was about $6 per share. So shorting it then at $10 would be interesting indeed.

I think today it's about $12. It got back of to $10 Sep-Oct 2014. Is now the time to short?
Old 12-01-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 Junipers View Post
Nope. The writer of your link doesn't say what info he posted is incorrect. THAT was my point. I believe (but do not know) that he is correct about the Sibelius team. How is the reader to know or trust the information?

Given the original writers disclaimer, perhaps there is a more authoritative link?

FWIW - I don't like outsourcing anymore than you appear to. And I agree with the sentiment you express re: "squeeze everyone else". But that has ALWAYS been the corporate and sometimes 'private' impetus.

BTW - In June of 2013 Avid was about $6 per share. So shorting it then at $10 would be interesting indeed.

I think today it's about $12. It got back of to $10 Sep-Oct 2014. Is now the time to short?
His disclaimer is in regards to taking investment advice. The "info" that he is referring to is his investment advice. Everyone gives those disclaimers. It is not in regards to the factual statement that avid bought a company and laid off the people who work on it and outsourced to the Ukraine. That was all FACT.

Plus he gives a pretty good run down of other problems with the company that make a lot of sense.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Also you are the one who brought up investing. i just have money market accounts and roth ira and pension and possibly social security. I have no interest in playing the stock market. I'll leave that to the CEO of avid.

So stop trying to discredit the link with a strawman.
Closed Thread